View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #91
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I think I'm one of the few people who ENJOY April's role in City at War. I don't find it boring, I find it compelling.

She's felt trapped by this mutant family for so long, but by the time she tries to rejoin society, she no longer feels like she belongs or can fit in. It's too pedestrian... so she goes back.

Honestly, when you think about it, it can present quite a depressing message.
THANK YOU! I don't feel that concept is discussed in stories like this for instance the 1987 series Beauty and the Beast has a very similar plot but we never really see Catherine struggling to fit into society after meeting Vincent (the Beast). She still has time for her career, family and friends.

I know it's fiction, but it still needs to be grounded in some way and emotions are a fantastic way of doing it. I think after being involved in something amazing you would become isolated from everyday life, even Doctor Who addresses that briefly with Rose.

On a side note, I wonder what will happen when she inevitably goes to university and leaves Donatello, a scientific child prodigy behind. Can you imagine how emotional that arc would be for him? It would be a constant reminder that he may be exceptionally skilled, but he'll probably never be able to reach his full potential simply because he's a mutant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
She doesn't need to be forced into every story, or else they have to do things like make April a competent fighter with a katana like Archie or a psychic like Nick.
I think it's people trying to make her interesting, but I on't think she needs powers or to be able to fight to be interesting. My favourite version of the character is in the Mirage comics, she's smart, practical, kind, easy to relate to (for me at least).
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote