View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 AM   #60
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I was listening to a video by the Old Turtle Den, where he is discussing some ideas of what he felt should be in a TMNT reboot.

The first suggestion is letting the turtles all have red masks because this would be a homage to the original comic book where they all had red masks. And then at some point in the narrative, Raph slams down a blue mask, purple mask, and orange mask on a table and tells his brothers to put them on. Because maybe there is a short gag where each of the Turtles is mistaken for one another, so Raph just tosses some alternate colored masks to his brothers and says put them on so that can help tell them apart.

I remember in Andre's interview with Minae Noji that there was one scene cut out of the 2014 movie where Splinter is holding Donnie's mask and comparing it to a purple orchid. I will need to see that interview again to see about full context. But it does sound like their may have been color symbolism involved.

Each color does have meanings, and they apply to the character of the turtle it's given to. For example, Donnie and Leo are given cool colored masks because they are the calm turtles, they are the ones who are stepping back and plan out the situation, mediate the problems.

But their shades can also vary as well such as Leo's mask color depending on the version can be dark blue to medium blue to turquoise.

While Donnie's mask ranges from dark purple, blue-violet, red-violet, and just regular purple. Such as in the 2012 version in Donnie's character concept there was a notation saying that Donnie's mask was purple because he was a blend of both of his older brothers. I.E. Calm and collected like Leo but will burst into fits of unbridled rage like Raph.

Both blue and purple are associated with wisdom, compassion, and nobility

Raph and Mikey are the more active members. The ones who are more likely to jump into a situation and make things up as they go along which is why they are assigned warmer colors.

Raph is always red because he is the angry one, but he is also the protector of the group. Red is a color symbolizing passion, strength, and aggression.

Mikey is they hyperactive one so he is orange which is a color associated with enthusiasm and creativity.