View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #40
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

When Super7 announced TMNT figures, I was hoping for what Playmates could not deliver, proper Classics based of the vintage toyline like MOTUC. And this is it, ish... They are updated figures for the vintage line, but MOTUC gave us more and something at the time; modern. But I don't really know what could be "modern" here, I'm not a toy designer, but something is missing, maybe?

The price is steep, $45 for one figure is a lot, but I also PO'd Club Grayskull Shadow Weaver on BBTS for $49.99 so I guess I'm a part of the problem giving in to the prices. License (thanks playmates) and limited run will dictate the price, and honestly, these will probably be easier to get then the NECA Fred Wolf figures.

The sprue weapon rack is cute in the display stand, but if we're getting that at $45, we better get a second set of proper weapons that are also painted. Cutting out the weapons yourself for that price is ridiculous.

I do love that they fixed Raph's sai to look like real sai and not weird knives like the vintage figure was sporting, but the holsters are unchanged and look too big. Raph must have his sheath for the katar on his back ( can't find any pics of his back). Hopefully they can also fix Leo's swords to be a katana and a wakizashi, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Splinter is pretty rad, super weird seeing the 88 toy design with more articulation, but I love that look. Kinda wish his kimono was soft goods. Pretty neat he comes with multiple arrows and that pre-mutated turtle is the funnies looking turtle yet with it's demonic yellow eyes.

Never been too keen on the robotic mummy Foot Soldier, but this guy does look like the vintage figure with has a better look then the on-screen Foot and hopefully with the better articulation he can stand straight up and do ninja poses. It would be neat if the flail weapon actually had a bendy cord or something.

Baxter is pretty neat, looks just like the vintage figure, down to the fly smacker weapon and I adore the Mouser he comes with, which looks just like the Wacky Action wind-up Mouser. I need a 4-pack of those mousers.

I can't wait to see Shredder, hopefully he'll be fixed a bit so we don't have the goofy caterpillar eyebrows going over his helmet and properly under his helmet And I'm more excited for Rocksteady and Bebop based off the toys over the cartoon versions from NECA, and will April have the original 1988 headsculpt or the superior headsculpt that came with the orange and blue variant. As of now I'm fairly certain I'm in for Classics of the 1988 and 1989 basic figures. I would also love to see accessories based of the Gags, Jokes and Crazy Weapons sets.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote