View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #87
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process. We had a lot of students who refused to watch anything that wasn't a blockbuster and the other extreme, hated anything with a budget. The instructors at my school encouraged this behavior by constantly trash talking the latest big budget film without having seen it. Their only basis for the hate was that the film was made under the establishment. This being ironic because not one of my teachers showed us their work when asked. One even snapped at me and told me she didn't have to.

I say if you're going to be a teacher you should be able to display you have knowledge in what you're teaching. Not sure what I expected. My "school" was sued several times for illegal practices so yeah. . .there's that.
Just out of curiosity, was your school a chain of schools. Mine was and my time there started off great, but the quality of the teaching unfortunately degraded after lawsuits and issues with the Government allegedly, which led to budget cuts and laying off instructors (the better ones IMO), and then ultimately deciding to close the local branch down.

I had one teacher who couldn't really articulate or communicate his lessons very well, which was very frustrating because you really want to learn stuff and then you go on to the advance classes where some students were lucky enough to get a more effective instructor, while some of us needed brushing up.

One of my last coarses, the instructor didn't teach us. She put on You Tube videos, which taught us. We paid for a professional grade coarse and got You Tube videos.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote