View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #41
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

I am holding off final judgment on it until I see the rest of the season's episodes and can judge whether the story of how they got there was to my satisfaction.

As it stands now, I don't hate the episodes at all--I just don't think they feel like a finale, and they don't feel like Ninja Turtles. Instead, they feel like just another instance of a part of this series I haven't been too crazy about from the get-go; its willingness to drag the narrative into homages to various popular movies. At least Road Warrior isn't yet another horror film, and those episodes didn't feature the sorts of villains who seem like they should be fighting Panty and Stocking instead, but ultimately the most praise I can give the "finale" is it's something quite unique for cartoons, and it had many great scenes--but nothing about it necessitated its characters being turtles, or honey badgers, or meerkats, or iguanas; nor do I remember it taking advantage of any of that. They even put almost all of the Turtles through transformations so they didn't fight their signature way anymore.

I'd have far rather this show focused in on a more limited amount of characters and settings. There's a lot of stuff that was introduced that they just abandoned long-term, and I lay this abandonment at the feet of shoehorning in the sorts of plots that allowed them to throw in more villains of the week and dress the turtles up some how, so they could sell more toys. That might even have been an acceptable direction for me, except the Playmates toyline got worse and worse.