View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #95
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I loved the show as a child and thought it was the best thing ever. The cartoon seemed more serious to me when I was 12. I thought it was an action cartoon with some comedy in it. I don't love it as an adult. I don't mind that it was really a comedy with some action. A lot of episodes haven't aged well. I think seasons one, two, three, seven and eight were the best (I still like some episodes from other seasons, though). The cartoon was an inconscient show. There were too many episodes made and it could've been condensed into 5 seasons. It has aged better than other shows such as Sonic SatAM and Spider-Man, though.

I like its version of Raphael, Casey, Shredder, Rat King and Leatherhead. There are annoying catchphrases and too many pizza jokes. I don't like Zach. Dregg was an okay villain, but he seemed to be evil for the sake of being evil and didn't have much of a personality (I liked him better in season 10, though). I like the minor characters like Big Louie, Barney Stockman and Buffy Shellhammer.

I like that the show doesn't take itself too seriously. The 2003 cartoon did that too often. Krang and Shredder's banter is still funny (they really do act like a married couple). I think half of the episodes are still enjoyable to watch, but the good is far outweighed by the bad in seasons 4, 5, 6 and 9. I haven't watched most of the episodes for years, though, since only some DVDs are available in Ireland, but I thought a few episodes on the Cowabunga Classics dvd were somewhat boring to watch as an adult such as The Turtles and the Hare.

The standout moment on the show for me was Shredder blowing up the Channel Six building, but I prefer the 2003 cartoon. The OT was a product of its time, but parts of it still hold up well. I watched it every now and then from the early 1990s to late 2000s on RTE Two, so it's not down to nostalgia that I like the show. It's one of those guilty pleasure type shows like Charmed and 2 Broke Girls.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote