View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
We've seen this happen regularly in almost every TMNT series:

1. In the original cartoon a lot of the mutants talk, but some oddly do not. The mutant bull with the horns who kept getting bigger and duplicating itself into two from Season 3 (the one Don had his alternate VA in), the giant bugs from "The Big Bug Blunder," the mutant bug people in Season 7 when Baxter used his mutagen gun on a bunch of pedestrians, etc.

2. In the 2k3 series in Notes of the Underground, only Quarry spoke. Stonebiter/Razorfist didn't speak at all. They weren't mindless yet like the other mutants down there. Then later on in Season 4 when there's a mutant outbreak in NY, again all those mutant bugs are just mindless and don't speak. Then we had that Cockroach mutant or the 4-eyed monster Bishop experimented on when he mutated that soldier...they didn't speak either.

3. In the Nick cartoon several mutants did not speak. Cockroach Terminator, Justin, Mutagen Man, Squirrelnoids, Kirby-bat, Antrax, Traag, The Creep, etc. It seems like some mutants gained the ability to speak over time (like Rockwell monkey who couldn't talk in his first appearance), while others could not.

Why do some mutants gain intelligence and can speak, but others are basically just mindless monsters or feral creatures?
I just assumed that speaking came with the territory of becoming (or remaining) humanoid. Other cases could just be characters that weren't given dialogue. Such as Quarry being the only one speaking. Though in her case I also assumed she was the last to keep a limited, fragile connection to her real self, while the others had lost it. Which could in theory also be the case elsewhere, such as the the bug people you mentioned in the original cartoon; lost too much humanity. Which the same could all be said of Nick... either not humanoid, lost too much human-ness, or I guess in the case of The Creep it was plants to start with that turned into a monster, so it lacked coming from any animal with vocal cords in the first place.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote