View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
alpaca witch
Random Punk

For me, as long as the changes have some sort of reason or logic behind them and were done by someone who actually respects TMNT/has an interest in the lore, then I'm open to all interpretations. A lot of the people working on the nick cartoon are longtime TMNT fans themselves, so I'm much more lenient on their choices since I know they respect the source material and aren't just trying to completely reboot it into their own thing. With that said, the only real gripe I have with any of the nick designs would have to be with Kirbybat or "wingnut" if you will.

Maybe it's a bit of a personal thing but bats are my favourite animals next to alpacas, so naturally I love Wingnut from the original series. I had went into the Nick cartoon mostly blind but I heard there was a bat mutant based on Wingnut, so I was really looking forward to that, and when I finally saw Kirbybat I was pretty letdown. Now, I'm not saying his design is necessarily bad or poorly designed, it's more that... It just doesn't really mesh well with the TMNT universe? Yes, there's no right or wrong way to do a mutant, and if anything Kirbybat is more "realistic" in that he's hideous and deformed... But in a series where the mutants tend to turn out like Fishface, Dogpound, Snakeweed, etc, he just seems horribly out of place. His design is better suited to something where he could have much more detail and not be subject being toned down for the kids. On top of all of that, he's heinously un-toyetic to the point where they shouldn't have even bothered making his toy a standard release figure. I'm not even a huge Karai fan like most others but the fact that he got a figure before her (if she even gets a human form figure) is disappointing on so many levels.

tl;dr: kirbybat is lame
alpaca witch is offline   Reply With Quote