View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
KB Toys were the toy stores you found on malls, they were small but got the job done in making mom's trips to the mall tolerable. They mostly had older toys which is why I didn't like them but it was still cool and had a "look" that is very nostalgic.

Toys R Us on the other hand were a complete store so it was HUGE, at least to the eyes of a kid but basically an entire store for toys. Walmart's or other supermarkets just couldn't compete since the whole toy section a store like K-Mart might have was just the boys section alone or part of it. There's also the marketing and it worked, the stupid TRU Kid songs, Jeffrey the giraffe costume to get a picture with and the free packages that had AOL floppy discs and other goodies. Not to mention when they themed it for Halloween/Christmas or new movies or shows they would go all out.
Never heard of KB Toys, so I'm assuming they never made it to where I live.

All Toys R Us in Portugal(there's 9 of them, it seems) are in malls these days, it seems, so they're not gigantic like the ones you have in USA. We don't have Wallmart here so no idea what that store looks like either.

Someone mentioned Blockbuster... there were a few in my city in the mid 2000s, but they disappeared rather quickly. Me and my family always went to our local video rental store... which closed down around 2013 or 2014. It lasted longer than I expected tbh.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote