View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #31
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You also have to keep in mind that Street Fighter III was a big commercial failure. Not that it wasn't a bad game, at least 3rd Strike certainly was not. but it came out at a time where the popularity of 2d fighters was at an all-time low. Not to mention its first console release was on the Dreamcast, which wasn't exactly the most successful console in history as we all know. The game then got ported to Xbox 360 several years later and by the time it was already too late. Street Fighter was kinda irrelevant for a while until 4 came out and it revived not only the franchise but 2d fighters as well. And finally, the lack of familiar characters didn't help either. The vanilla release of SFIII only had Ryu and Ken as returning characters. Akuma was added in 2nd Impact and then Chun-Li was added in 3rd Strike. As for SFIII introduced characters, not many are popular and memorable except for maybe Makoto, Dudley and maybe Yun. Ibuki's got some fans though, but she's not exactly close to being one of the most popular characters of the franchise.

So ye, it seems like Capcom has kinda swept Street Fighter III under the rug. They don't want to remind the general audience of such commercial failure, I'm guessing. Hell, I didn't even know there was a Street Fighter 3 until 4 was announced back in 2008. I only knew of 2 and the Alpha series.

I don't care about Gill much myself, and Bison hasn't exactly been shoved down our throats as the final boss anyway. In 4 you fight Seth at the end. In the Alpha 1 and 2 you fight your rival at the end. That only leaves SF2 and Alpha 3 as the games where you fight Bison at the end. Maybe he's also the final boss of SF EX and The Movie Game series, but I haven't played those and don't consider them proper installments. Not to mention I doubt many have played those.

But hey, maybe Street Fighter 6 will take place after III, who knows.
So you don't think Elena was popular? Yeah most of the SFIII crew were kinda of lame, but SFIII proves that it can not hold a game if all you have is Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Chun Li, You need more old favorites, look at the Alpha series, you got old favorites, AND new ones. Fun times, yeah fun times.

I would add Elena though along with Makoto, Dudley, Yun.

So you never heard of Street Fighter I??
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote