View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 02:08 AM   #55
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There was even a comic with a flashback showing Kyle joining the Green Lantern Corps by Ganthet welcoming him to Oa and giving him a ring and introducing him to all the other Guardians. But I guess that was a mistake...
Jesus. Horrible. Sloppy.

See, the little bit that I kept up on, I was aware that while most books were getting a full overhaul, they claimed that Batman and Green Lantern (the only consistently strong sellers at the time of the New 52 reboot, "coincidentally") would get to keep most of their established backstory. And that ended up not being true, at all. A lot of that had to do with the "Everybody's entire story is only 5 years old, now" nonsense, but regardless, almost everything that happened before Flashpoint was, as you said, only loosely the same, if at all. Like Guy Gardner. "Kinda sorta the same just totally different whatever nobody cares anyway" is NOT "still the same".

And yeah, all that stuff with Jade, and going to the trouble of bringing her back only to drop the entire angle. The New 52 sucked a batch of dicks. A batch or a box, whatever's bigger. All the dicks. One big 7-year long waste of everyone's goddamn time. And it's not like they can just go back and pick things up where they left off in 2010, and pretend nothing in between ever happened... although that still might be the best idea, if impractical. I know I'd take whatever was probably in the pipeline back then over pretty much whatever they've done since. All that "Justice League International" build-up, with "Justice League: Generation Lost"... and for WHAT?

I mean, I hear some recent stuff is pretty good, and I've picked up a few issues here and there that aren't bad. Action Comics #1000, for example, was pure perfection. So they can still hit home runs when they try. I'm just still really burned about that whole era and experience.

I'm in awe of that collection, and I know you keep busy but I'unno how you afford it all. Earliest thing I own is a Batman comic from the mid-1950s, I think, in awful shape. But it's real, and it's mine. I have a couple Superman books from the 60s, and a bunch more from the 70s, and then just about every Superman book from 1986 through 2010, minus a small handful. But nothing very early, rare, or valuable. Tons of stuff, though; mostly DC but some Marvel, mostly just a few scattered issues or mini-series, not much of a Marvel guy but certain things really grab my eye. I like the Squadron Supreme/Supreme Power stuff, for example. Or "Startling Stories: Banner". I'm looking forward to doing a full inventory in a few weeks, but at one point I had more than a dozen longboxes, about eight of them full of Superman stuff.

I could never sell anything I'd invested so much of my time and money into. At one point collecting was like a full-time hobby, and I'd hit the comic book store several times a week, accumulating a vast collection very quickly. In 2001, I had just over two boxes full of books; by 2008, I had around a dozen or more. Over a hundred bucks a week on books, easy. It all adds up. I couldn't do it all the same way now, but it was a fun and frantic period in my life that I look back on fondly, and I still like to get some back issues in the rare event I have spare cash. I'll probably start collecting more regularly again, even if just back issues of 80s and 90s stuff, once my collection is out of storage and I can put everything away properly.

Altogether, it's probably not even worth selling, though. It's just large; large enough to the point that the only way to unload it would be to sell it to a comic shop owner for a bulk rate, which would inevitably only pay me about 25 cents per issue. I paid cover price for a huge chunk of what I own, and rarely less than a buck for anything else; even if it's all technically "worthless", I couldn't justify taking any kind of loss, which would be necessary if I ever did try to liquidate it. Selling a large comic book collection is like selling a video game collection; if you absolutely need to make space in a hurry, sure, do it; otherwise, the loss isn't worth anything you'll get for it. May as well hang onto it and pass it on for future generations to potentially sell for a few pennies more.

Not that I'd ever even think about selling mine, anyway; just that I've occasionally looked into the logistics just to see if it would even be worth it, and it's not. If we ever ran out of room it'd actually be more practical to build makeshift furniture out of the longboxes and put decorative pillows over 'em.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote