View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #9816
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Resident Evil 7's gameplay was the same as the older ones, just in first person. Had the game been done in third person instead (which I honestly wish there was an option to toggle with), it would have played exactly like an old-school RE game. The puzzles in the main house are very similar to REmake's, as well as the structure of the game in general.

Once you get to the salt mines it does just become a shooter, but that was like the last 10 minutes of the game and they just did that to give you a bunch of enemies to kill and use all your ammo on before the final boss. So overall it didn't matter.

Yeah there's a lack of enemy variety, but I didn't really care. The actual game length was about 10 hours the first time through, which is the exact same length all the older pre-RE4 games were. You can beat REmake, RE2, RE3, CVX, or RE0 in about 8 hours as one play through, not counting replaying it with a different character.
People always say the gameplay is the same but in first person as if first-person itself doesn't drastically change the gameplay. I loved Resident Evil's gameplay and for me, this isn't that. Even the over the shoulder games had the same gameplay, albeit, with tweaks and such, but it still felt the same. Also, the structure is the same but the Baker house is very small, so where to go and what to do doesn't require the same amount of exploration the older games did.

The game gets linear long before the salt mines. Lucas' fun house is linear as is the ship. Which is about halfway through the game.

The actual game length doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the lack of content and the fact that they charged for modes and extra stuff that would have been unlockables in previous games. Yeah, the Not a Hero stuff is free, but where is it? It got delayed with no date in sight. They sold us an unfinished game with arguably less content than any of the previous games in the series.

Anyway, I don't think it's a bad game. I enjoyed my time with it. I just don't see how this is a return to the series' roots as a fan of this series. As a survival horror game it's pretty meh, the gameplay and tone is nothing like previous entries, the main characters are missing, and it just overall feels like a bastardized version of Resident Evil just like the Revelations games. It used nostalgia to get fans back in, but it still wasn't quite what fans were looking for, though Resident Evil 7's biggest advantage against the Revelations games were its name and budget.