View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 02:37 AM   #21
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Regardless of your personal opinion, objectively we live in the most peaceful time in the history of the human civilization.
Seriously. We all forget, because we've only ever known a peaceful Europe post-WWII and it's probably been years for most of us since history class, but that region really, really liked shooting each other. The hundreds of years prior to the EU are marked by consistent patterns of war.

On top of that, we've come a long, long way as a species, socially. Let's not forget there were times in human history when groupings of human beings thought raping and pillaging was totally rad. The last twenty or thirty years in particular have seen a lot of rapid advances in regards to a lot of things, too.

That said, I totally understand how easy it is to lose perspective, sometimes. It's happened to me too on occasion over the past year.

Quote:
Mostly it sounded like he just put out a bunch of keywords/phrases for the people to clap at. Relatively pointless speech.
That's been him at any gathering since he was sworn in, basically. He does these things, I think, because it's a comfort and seems to be the only part of the job, election to now, he actually likes. Trump's a showman, after all.