View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #32
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Look, the "talent" behind this project couldn't even write a competent story for the first movie with The Foot & Sachs as the bad guys - now they're gonna tackle at least three times the villains with The Foot & Sachs, additional henchmen like B&R plus Baxter and an alien invasion? Everything in this movie is going to be rushed, with the amount of nostalgia-wank that they're throwing in here.
You know just to show I'm not against the movie because I'm a "hater" I should point out that Nemec and Applebaum have written stuff that isn't bad at all the problem is with their TMNT work.

I actually give them something, that apart from the premier they didn't do what everyone else involved with the movie did and pump us full of transparent crap about what huge fans they were and how faithful the movie would be they were pretty open from the start; They weren't huge fans (Hollywood talk for not fans at all) and they weren't going to adhere to the mythology. Even that I can't be mad at them about as that's likely exactly what Platinum Dunes brought them in to do.

What is clear from interviews like these is they put a lot of thought and effort into April O'Neil and Eric Sachs's story and seem crestfallen that much if it ended up on the cutting room floor. Contrast that to what they express about the turtles and their mythology it's a lot more flippant as if they really didn't put much thought into those aspects.

I'm positive we're going to get a lot of awkward Casey and April relationship jostling, it's already clear we're getting much more Vern and I'm sure they are not going to waste Laura Linney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
Yeah, no, Avengers vs. Chitauri/Ultron drones ('cause it's basically the same thing) took up a big chunk of the movie. TMNT's final battle from the Blue Door felt like a rushed, barely even 10 minute battle.
Y'know a low key alien incursion might not be such a bad idea. Partly because TMNT generally is more street level heck even the Fred Wolf show never had one going on for very long. The end of the first season of the 80s animated series had barely a two lines of Rock Soldiers make it through the portal before they were sucked back to Dimension-X. Ironically it was the more grounded '03 series that portrayed a full on alien invasion the best and even allowed the turtles to remain largely secret however they are going for a more Avengers feel even it comes off more like a Venom in Spider-Man 3 kinda deal. Like...oh yeah here's an extra battle with a fan favorite for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmartin View Post
Now that they have established the characters, origin, etc. they can pack a lot more into upcoming films.
I don't think it established the characters and origin at all. At least not well enough. There's a not insignificant amount of both fans and general public that thought it was terrible and even those who enjoyed it are holding out hope the sequel will correct it. Of course the possibility of that happening seems highly unlikely. It would take much better writers to make it gel with the story they've already told.

Quote:
The first movie did very well at the box office, but got mostly negative reviews. I'm sure that they are trying harder to please fans with this new movie and not kill the franchise.
Intent and result are two very different things. Other than maybe Bay himself I doubt anyone meant for the entire fan base to be up in arms or to make what is generally regarded as a garbage movie but that's how it ended up.

Last edited by Galactus; 06-30-2015 at 09:10 AM.