View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #16
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The main problem for TMNT is what made the original games classics is that Beat-em=ups were a new thing and loved by everyone but when developers make beat em ups now they're considered "boring" and "repetitive" or "too short" so they get bad reviews.
The problem with that statement is plenty reviewers also said the only good thing about the 2003 game was you could unlock the original arcade game, and then the 2-D GBA game based on the 2007 film got a better score than the 3-D games based on that film. You can't solely blame a genre not aging well for why people don't like a it anymore, when they still like old and old-fashioned games in that genre whenever they play them again.

My guess would be that keeping things in 2D helps constrain characters towards one another, so it feels like there's a constant pressure to fight in order to defend yourself; compared to games where you have a more open field except for invisible and/or arbitrary walls that only break when you've defeated all the enemies around currently, so the experience moves on to "fight just because we said so". Take this guess with a grain of salt, though, as I have never played any of the 3D TMNT games for long periods of time. However, I don't consider the original arcade TMNT a masterpiece or a good role-model in the slightest; not even a candidate for the best 2D beat-em-up. The Manhattan Project and Turtles in Time are much better.