View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #16
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I basically missed this entire show's original air. I'm a big fan of OT and 2k3 turtles but I was too busy to stop and watch 2k12 when it came out. But now with Rise of the TMNT on the horizon I'm finally going to settle down and watch this show. I didn't go in with any expectations since I didn't read or look at any promo material before hand.

So far I'm midway through season 2 and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. The characters are cute and funny, though I think Mikey is almost too stupid for my liking. Internally I'm feeling pretty positive about this show though externally I'm already feeling some issues that I want to vent about. Lol Some of which were already spoiled to me.

One of my most serious issues are : All of the human secondary protagonists being children.

I guess it isn't a big issue with Karai, but I'm really not a fan of kid April. To me, April is a big sister to the turtles at the very least, and a cool mother figure at the most. You can go crazy with everything else and you can argue against me on this, but April being the "team mom" has been my default ideal about her for a long time.

On top of that, the circumstances put forward by her dad's mutation causes narrative problems that I suppose the writers don't expect the audience to care about. Since April is a minor, and I don't know how long it will be before the turtles find a cure for Kirby O'Neil, how is April surviving on her own? Sure I guess she can buy her own food, and I can even imagine her father had some off screen and never mentioned 'emergency savings' that April can live off of and pay the rent with, but still, so far the show hasn't mentioned this so I'm guessing the audience isn't supposed to 'think' about it too much. I've been told that in another season or so she gains super powers. Huh.

Some friends think Casey is a foster kid. That might explain why they don't care about him and Casey doesn't care about...anything. But the show does a poor job at giving us this helpful information so I have to waste time theorizing like an asshole. Also to me it just makes Shredder's defeat seem all the more silly. Vying for world domination, getting your ass kicked by a tribe of misfit children. I know it works in anime but I expect better from the Shredder.

Also Splinter. This may be the youngest incarnation of this character EVER. I wish he would leave the lair more often. Especially in this current debacle with Karai, he should be more proactive in finding his own daughter instead of leaving it all up to the turtles.

So yeah so far these are my biggest complaints.

I agree with CyberCubed. I remember people gnashing their teeth when the character designs were revealed. But honestly I think this is an above average show. It has its flaws, like everything does but it isn't enough to detract from my experience.

At this point I'd rate all of the Turtle shows in this order. 2003> 2012>OT

And NMT is somewhere either orbiting the sun or near the earth's crust.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 06-15-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote