View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #34
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't know Rose you're opening a can of worms if we want to decide what is legit martial arts and what's not. I'd argue most modern American dojos are scams for money. It's hard to find a legit school and I can see some people totally being able to learn from a video and even a book, hell one of my sensei's had this old ass book that fell apart that he would look at whenever he would forget what went on in a Kata, of course he actually learned from a teacher and only used it as a resource.
Well, I'm not going to get into the wormhole of "legit" martial arts. But basic techniques like front/round/side/back kicks, as well as basic punches, should be pretty transferable between styles, and good technique vs. bad technique is going to be pretty recognizable.

You are right that someone who already has a background in martial arts can use a book or a video as a reference to be able to pick up something new, or remember something that's been forgotten. Just last week I was learning some black belt level techniques that are brand new to me and my instructor had to go dig out his references for them, because it's been years since any students have gotten to the level to be learning these.

Quote:
Then again I feel most Katas are trash and should only be learned by kids as a way to teach them discipline, anyone older than 15 should be learning things you can actually use in combat.
I love forms/katas, and respectfully disagree with everyone who finds them to be worthless. I have yet to see a student whose ability in forms didn't accurately reflect their ability in all other skills. Sloppy forms = sloppy everything else. But I also believe learning martial arts isn't all about learning combat. I know there are a lot of junk schools out there, and I feel really lucky to have found my way to one that isn't.

Quote:
But as far as the thread itself, that's the only reason I prefer Hamato Yoshi as a human, the rat learning by itself is dumb.
Big YES.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote