View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
Genesis
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
Well yeah. Everything you wrote above (save the VQ stuff?)... I know all of that, and really, it's not a whole heck of a lot. Some characters have literally the exact same story and motivation for like 3 games straight. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hatin' on VF - I wholly intend to get Final Showdown when it releases. It's just quite shallow when it comes to plot - which in the light of convoluted s**t like BlazBlue, isn't a bad thing.

Story has always been one of MK's strong points, and the only points in which it started to get stupid was the poorly-written retcons of Deception and the complete mess of Armageddon. Oh, and Raiden being completely retarded in 2011.

As for DoA5...
I've always liked DoA, for reasons outside of the norm (boobs). DoA2 Hardcore was one of the first PS2 games I'd played - I think it was actually the second overall, and I had a blast. DoA4 got on my nerves a lot, though, with terrible AI and a functionally broken counter system. Dimensions restored my faith, however, and is actually my favorite of the entire series.

I really hope DoA5 doesn't fail to deliver.
That's exactly what I meant about subtlety. It's not insanely original, but it gets the job done, and it leaves enough unsaid that it doesn't matter either way.

I enjoyed Dead Or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast, myself. My younger brother and I played the hell out of that game and bonded over the stories we made up for each of the characters. My favourite character has always been Ayane, but in DOA3, I was notably better with Hayate. I just liked the flow of the character. Speaking purely in gameplay and control terms, I think he had a much more ninja feel than Hayabusa, who always felt a little rigid, to me.

DOA4 I pretty much skipped; I felt it was a boring entry, and anyway, I had lost interest in fighters at that time. I never played Dimensions. What changes were made in Dimensions to improve upon the allegedly broken system in DOA4, and what similarities and differences can you tell between Dimensions and DOA5?

DOA5 will have to perform, now. Of course, there will be the hardcore VF fan who believes in no crossovers (aside from Fighters Megamix, we assume) and who will jump on any potential flaw, but even the sane Virtua players have a keen mind and enough attention to detail to spot a flawed control scheme or otherwise game-breaking problem. Putting Akira (and possibly others) in the game has potential to strengthen sales on both sides, but if they want the game to be as well-received as Final Showdown, they've gotta make it good.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote