View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #22
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Oh yes, he could have, easily. He won 20 out of 21 starts, after all! If you read his history, he was THE best horse of his time, hands down, particularly as a stud. Much like Secretariat(TCW) was in HIS day. Man o' War sired such winners as Hard Tack, War Hero, War Glory(whose daughter War Whisk was the mother of 1962 Triple Crown champ Decidedly!), War Relic(sire of Battlefield, Intent, Relaunch, Known Fact, and Missile, to name a few), Battleship, Blockade, Crusader, Maid at Arms, Nellie Flag, American Flag, and Lady Glory, among others.

And yes, Seabiscuit was also out of his line(grandson). And Kelso, Personal Ensign, War Emblem, and.... Basically, one can track his line through War Admiral(a TCW!) and others he sired- 379 in 22 seasons at stud- and many of those also sired (or dammed) dozens of winners themselves, and so on. Some of his sons and daughters (or grand and even great-grandchildren) were also exported to Britain, France, and Japan, among other places, further spreading his line.

Some famous later descendants- Alydar(TCW), Strike the Gold, Big Brown, Silver Charm, Mine That Bird, Alysheba(TCW), Affirmed(TCW), Winning Colors(filly and KD winner) Seattle Slew, Real Quiet, Barbaro, Zenyatta(filly), Charismatic, Cigar, Curlin, Smarty Jones, Black Caviar(Aussie filly), Skip Away.....
War Admiral was perhaps one of the greatness race horses there ever was, even losing a good part of his foot in his victory that made him the triple crown winner, than next year he losing's to Seabiscuit, and during the build up War Admiral was pretty much made the villain by the media, when really he was just a horse?? But I do think the defeat knock War Admiral in the media eyes as a truly great horse. I was watching American Pharaoh win the triple crown, and they mention Secretariat, and Seattle Slew, and a few other Triple crown winners, and outside War Admiral named running down at the bottom of the screen with the other THAN 11 winners, He never gets a mention. Did that lost really knock War Admiral out of the media's mind? I don't think it should mean much any way since War Admiral prove his greatness the year before, All the greats lose some time, but it really hurt War Admiral standing wise vs the other great race horses.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote