View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #25
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellington View Post
It's nice to see some appreciation on this forum.

Anyway, the two films were okay, but I'd say OOTS was more enjoyable than the first film.

The first film was some sci-fi take TMNT, but fell short, because IMO it tried to do the IDW origin without reincarnation and without Hamato Yoshi.

The second film was a lot more enjoyable (I enjoy Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang, and they didn't disappoint me here), and did a little more on the drama side with the schism between the brothers over becoming human. It pretty much embraced its "being out there" nature, which I think helped out.

TMNT has been many different things over its long history - a fun cartoon, a noir tale, a martial arts story - that while its variety keeps it popular, it's likely impossible to put all of that into one film and please everyone.
'Different' is not necessarily a good defense though. As said before, the writing, acting, consistency, and overall execution is what kept these movies from being an enjoyable experience. The sequel may have added a bit of "fanservice" but the fanservice either had little presence to the story and was just added fluff (Krang) or badly executed (Bebop and Rocksteady). It may have been their first time appearing on the big screen but we would like to see them given better treatment or don't add them at all. What may have worked back then, may not work in today's times. Based on what I've read of IDW so far, they're incorporated pretty well. The chances of getting a movie based on that comic book line are slim but if we do get lucky enough to get one, we'll likely be looking back at OotS and go "eh."
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote