View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #55
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Yeah, I think just the title "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" is going to attract people, regardless of whether it is Mirage or Platinum Dunes.
Actually I think people with everything we have today TMNT seems kind of a normal title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-Happy View Post
The audience for Mirage TMNT is far more niche than people think.
Agreed. TMNT is nowhere near the popularity of DC or Marvel. It's a phenomenon but no due to it's comics but due to the franchise as a whole. Yet even as a phenomenon it doesn't match something like Superman in popularity. It would be interesting to compare the popularity of Deadpool to TMNT as well since both are self-referential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-Happy View Post
This comparison doesn’t actually work. The situations are different. In making the Fred Wolf show, both the production companies and Playmates knew they were defining these characters to a larger, broader audience. They were creating a product to be consumed by the masses. Let’s not act like the Mirage comics were very popular outside of the niche market of the adult independent comics reader.

I get that Mirage is your bread and butter, but you don’t seem to be looking at it objectively. Look, I could be completely wrong, but the Mirage comics are such a tonal shift from what the general audience has been fed for decades that I wonder if it can really work.

And the Batman comparisons don’t stand very well either. It took Batman nearly 70 years to get something like Batman Begins, and even then it was after years and years of entertainment moving that way. You don’t get Nolan without Burton.
Great points! When the Fred Wolf cartoon series aired it was almost a fresh plate and fortunately or unfortunately it formed people's perceptions of the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'd want a director and creative team with a true understanding of the Mirage TMNT coming to the table with a unique vision that is consistent with the heart and spirit and beats of that that truly brings that into 2017 with their own take that will resonate with new audiences.
The only way you're going to see something like that is if it's lower budget and attracts the same audience as something like Deadpool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They didn't even show up for the last movie anyway, which was made for them.
Well it wasn't made for me. That wasn't a Fred Wolf live action film, it was a Michael Bay movie with characters from the FW cartoon forced on.

But I did see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
They have tried-- in 1990. It's one of the most successfully pulled off, deeply revered things in the franchise, not to mention immensely profitable.

Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
To be honest any TMNT with money spent on it would have been a success back in the Turtlemania of 1990. We were just lucky that we got a great film.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote