View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
This is one of those ideas which I feel sound good only in the abstract, because in the end, I just don't think TMNT Vol. 1 #1 is very good, and I've never really heard a convincing argument for why it needs to be translated, since its two most important qualities--it's historical and nostalgic value, and a context that allowed it to be what it was--are two things an adaptation, by definition, can't replicate. In the end, I could see it going only one way: the producers acknowledge that the original story is severely lacking--most notably when it comes to having anything having to do with characterization--and make dramatic changes to the original work in order to make it palatable to more than a comparative handful of fans. And somehow, given how something like Turtles Forever is oftentimes treated here, I don't think that's what y'all have in mind.

ETA: Or, to put it another way: just what would the film have to do in order to be satisfying? How much can it change before it stops being considered an adaptation of the Mirage take and it becomes its own thing?
It's unfortunate that you don't see the richness of the first book. Issue one, done well would be fantastic. But done right, it's R rated.

It's the best of all TMNT. If given the chance, that's the story I'd do, in a heartbeat.

Just my 2 cents.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote