View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #216
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Damn you. Nah I'm only a little jealous, good for you man.

I never did one'a these before. Their store clock was initially screwed up until like an hour before! Thank God I was on the .org and someone pointed it out in a thread, like "It says it's in two hours but it's only an hour, guys, just FYI" but then the thing was fixed like two minutes later so someone caught it in time. But I was planning to be ready for 1pm EST and it was 12.

You (and others) must've been a little quicker on the draw than me; I had everything loaded up, but one by one stuff got Sold Out; first the Horde set, then the Faker set, then Sun-Man... I ended up getting Tri-Klops and the Secrets of Grayskull pack, and that one is the thing I wanted most anyway so I could "finish" my Castle Grayskull, so I'm okay.

Mattel announced at the Con that the line will be going on for a long time to come, so some less-exquisite versions of some of the stuff I missed should come out eventually anyway even if it's not as nice. Sun-Man in regular Origins packaging is already confirmed; that Con packaging is neat but I'm not gonna cry about not having it. They've already done two Hordaks and several recolored versions of other characters, so I can definitely see Blue Hordak coming out on a single card. Regular-colored Horde Troopers are a sure thing; I really like those red and black versions but they're "not canon" so I'll be okay if those don't come out again. Grizzlor's coming for sure. I can see Leo Faker and Dupli-cat getting single-pack releases.

The only thing I don't think will come out again in any form at all is the stuff in the Grayskull pack, that's why I was nervous to not get it. The rest, I'll be shocked if it doesn't come out in the regular line with some minor cutbacks. Like I don't think Faker and Cat will come out in a box together but they'll probably come out separately with maybe a little less detailing.

If they keep in line with how they've already managed things, I can see most or all of the Exclusives coming out in retail form sometime in 2022, given how the variants from the "Lords of Power" box set ended up coming out about a year and change later.
-----------------

Some nice news about the future of the line coming out of the Con, too, apparently. Stuff lined up for 2023 at the least, two vehicles per year... this thing is turning out to be HUGE! I can't believe it. Playsets aside, we might end up getting more figures and stuff in this line than we did with the original!
I'm glad you got the Grayskull pack - I know that one was huge for you!

I was really on the fence for how to do this for many of the reasons you mentioned above and then some. By the time it wrapped up this is how it played out for me:

-I watched the countdown timer on the creations site with a separate window opened for each item and I made sure I was logged in on each window about a minute before the timer ended.
-I bought one Tri-Klops rather than two because I've got the Origins Tri-Klops and having a loose example of the colored variant would have done nothing for me
-I bought 2 of the Sun-Man because I thought he was pretty cool and I figured one would be worth opening. But now I'm second-guessing doing that because he isn't on a standard MOTU O card back and I can't help but wonder if he will get a regular release at some point. So most likely the second MOC Sun-Man I picked up will become eBay store fodder, although that wasn't my initial plan.
-Picked up 2 of the Grayskull accessories pack because that was a truly useful and neat set and I can see myself picking up a Castle at some point. I've never owned a Castle Grayskull before, so if I do I'll open one of the packs for it. If I never do, I can see this particular pack being the aftermarket mover forever.
-I bought 1 Horde set. This was the one I figured I'd want multiples of, but honestly, it was just too expensive for me to buy another one right now, and quite frankly (and unfortunately) I can see that whole set getting standard releases at some point. So I've got one. It will stay MIB with the rest of my carded set.
-I had a Faker in the cart, but when the checkout page loaded, it was noted that he was sold-out. That was crazy - at that point I thought my whole order was a done deal.

On that note, I received my order of newly designed MOTU cases from Zoloworld, so my MOC set is looking really pretty. While residing in a crate. In storage. Probably forever.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote