Thread: new figures
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
Ninjinister
無問題

All right, taking another look at everything presented here, it doesn't change my opinion much, but I'm going to elaborate on it....

I like the idea of Playmates finally getting into the Build-A-Figure groove, although I expected the pieces to come with a standard figure, to make up a giant figure. That having been said, Playmates is a little shrewd with this one; I'm finally going to have to buy two of each Mini-Mutant of this series (one for the wall, and one to open), because as ill-conceived as that "Cyber Splinter" is... he does look kind of groovy, and would look nice on my shelf. Seriously, though, it does fit with the season's theme of Humpty-Dumpty Splinter, but for Chrissake, if they still didn't feel like making all new figures (although I'd prefer that they'd do, as we all do), couldn't they just slightly resculpt the movie Splinter to look more like the Back to the Sewer one instead of making him all translucent blue and with a different coloured robe?

On to the villains... although these would be kind of cool if they were to actually represent "Movie" Shredder and Foot Tech Ninja variants, they're supposed to represent completely different characters - Cyber Shredder and the Cyber Foot, respectively. That is just completely retarded on every level. What the hell are they thinking? Is EVERY figure in the Back to the Sewer line going to be just repainted versions of previous figures? Master Kahn will be Ultimate Ninja? Hun and Karai will just be the standard ones from the 2003 line repainted? That nifty Ch'rell-in-a-machine will actually end up being a repainted Utrom in that weird Baxter figure with the many appendages?

The worst thing is, from what I get, is although there will be six Mini-Mutant packs to collect... it's just going to be a figure and a Splinter piece? What a rip-off... Replace a full-fledged figure for something that cost a nickel to make like Splinter's tail? If the Marvel figures can release with everything a standard figure comes with plus a Build-A-Figure part, why can't the Mini-Mutants? Please tell me I'm wrong on this assumption, Vaughn.