View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #42
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
No idea. I haven't read any MK comics in my life. Are those canon, though?
Official MK1, Official MK2, MK4 (which came with PC port), MKD and MKX comic books that have been made with participation from Midway / NRS are canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Ryu is definitely the protagonist of SF, though. And Ken is his best friend. Chun-Li would be the female protagonist.
An interesting case is that, Guile, is like the 3rd most iconic male fighter in the series but his role is not very big. Not to mention he skipped several games of the franchise. And he's only there because Charlie Nash went missing and someone had to go search for him. But who cares about SF's "story", anyway? It's hardly consistent and the main focus of the game is the gameplay.

And even if Scorpion and Sub-Zero aren't the protagonists of MK, they're definitely the faces and the most recognisable characters, so they might as well be protagonists.

One thing people forget is that Johnny Cage is technically the closest character to being a protagonist after Liu Kang.
There is a difference between the most popular character / face of the series and protagonist, i.e. the main character in the story. One thing is not like the other and they shouldn't be confused.

And Ryu is not protagonist of the Street Fighter story. Most of the time he is barely a side character.
The only time where he was main protagonist was back in Street Fighter 1. In SFV he was one of the main characters, though, but in general this story was more about Chun Li and Guile rather than Ryu.

Liu Kang was nominal protagonist only in the first four MK games, though, barely anyone cared about him. Than it, arguably was Kung Lao in MKDA, Shujinko in MKD and Taven in MKA.

Johnny Cage was not a protagonist up until MK Armageddon. Up until that point he was a joke character whose sole accomplishment was that he had died twice.

In MKA he was leader of the good guys, since Raiden went crazy and Liu was dead. In MK9 he was one of the main characters, though Raiden was the protagonist in that game and in MKX, Kombat Kids shared the spot as the main characters.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote