View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #86
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

[QUOTE=ZariusTwo;1624465]The hype is subdued because Marvel haven't been talking about it. Not even Conway's been talking about it. The only person promoting the damn thing besides some die-hard fans is the artist.

It is not coming out until November, so I guess it makes some sense that Marvel would be focusing on publicizing material coming out now and next month -- although you'd think they'd be trying more hype in hopes of maximizing sales. (I could be wrong about this, but it seems like RYV 2 has gotten some positive reception, whereas I'm not sure I've seen that much excitement over the main "Cone Conspiracy" story -- although I will concede I haven't been looking for it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Nobody wins with these sort of scenarios, the older fans get what they want but the fear of it being undone, as you point out, remains prevalent and nobody trusts how the company will go about it with writers who may think badly of the marriage (although Roger Stern and Slott did very well when they utilised it), and fans who like the current direction are generally screwed about and told their ten year plus investment didn't matter in much the same way our twenty plus year investment didn't matter.
That's kind of the way things go. I guess all you can do is try and enjoy the parts of the franchise that do appeal to you.

Quote:
I'd have included Spider-Girl in this as well because Spider-Verse told me twelve years of investment in Peter there didn't matter because he'd die a petty death, but DeFalco stepped in and hinted the real Mayday's universe wasn't affected, so yay.
Okay. (I do think that, on some level, fiction reading is about the experience itself, so I'm not sure if OMD, early Clone Saga, and the like, exactly make the early stories a meaningless investment, since they can still be read in the context of themselves. I, for one, find the implications on the stories reality more annoying. )

Quote:
For some millennial kids, post-OMD Spidey is all they know, their window into his world, and to suddenly decree he doesn't matter...that they don't matter...yeesh. Just stomp on all the toys while you're at it.
I could see this becoming a vicious cycle. OMD was created since the people in change wanted to recreate the version of the character they knew. That stepped on the toes of the current generation, some of whom will probably be working at Marvel in the future. I'm sure some of them will be tempted to try and recreate the character they knew, which will step on the toes of current readers, and on and on it goes...

Quote:
I for one loved the Clone Saga as a kid regardless of what it tried to tell me about Spider-Man, but it didn't take up ten years of my time and I kind of snuck a peek at the ending before I got to the point Peter was "revealed" as the clone and Ben the "real" one. The only downer was them losing the baby, but Spider-Girl very quickly came about and told me everything was alright.
Okay, so "Clone Saga" has its fans. (I did like the Ultimate version, to be fair).

Quote:
Spider-Girl only took two and a half years to happen. Renew Your Vows took eight.
At least there was some kind of followup somewhere down the line. Not everything gets a second chance (esp. since it seems like comic book couples that get broken up don't get back together that often, unless of an adaptation, a reboot, or something like that).
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote