View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #32
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
It did a lot for a fighting games (introduced 6-button control scheme and special moves), but gem it is not. Even without comparing it to SF2, it is just not a good game when it comes to execution of its ideas.

Graphics are nice, though. And music is listenable, even if generic.

I thought about buying SF Anniversary collection for PC, but I've heard a lot of bad things about it (problems with online, lack of additional versions of certain games), so I decided not to do it. Besides, it's quite expensive in Russia. Mortal Kombat 11 at the launch was cheaper than this collection.
Lets pretend that SFII in 1992 never happen. The world was destroy in 1987. This game was made in the 80's. We are barely over the level of say Pac Man, Yeah it did not set the world on fire like SF2 or MK1/2, but it push games graphic wise along with final fight to the next level. The only flaw I see is the wacky controls, BUT if you know how to preform the moves, you should get them off at a high level. The specials can make or break a fight vs the top guys like Saget. I do think it is a underated gem, and did push the fighting game market to the next level. Most fighting games in the 80's was pretty much player 1 and player 2, which is what SF1 follow with Ryu and Ken. For the time, I think SF1 was ground breaking for its hey day. Of course once SFII hit Arcades a few years later, SF1 was pretty much left in the dust. Even though I say its a gem, I will admitted the game did not age well, no way the controls would past today.

But I more or less look at it in the time period, and not really what came later.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote