View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #59
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The problem with not having kids is who is going to look after you when you're 75 years old? The great thing about kids is when you're old and gray your kids, who will be like 40 year olds themselves by then, can help you with medical bills and such.

Just think about how your parents sometimes rely on you. Don't you want some kids to do that for you when you're 70 years old? Otherwise you'll be on your deathbed alone and alone. And alone.
Actually Cubed, that is one of the 'jobs' that people push onto a child before it's even born. "I only had you because you'll wipe my butt when I'm old" isn't something that you want to push onto a child.

What if you had one and he can't take care of you? What if he's special needs, and you are the one wiping his butt when you are 50? The child you have might be normal, but if could also have Down's, autism, severe mental illness, etc.

Plus Cubed, the folks that I've seen in the nursing homes, were often placed there by their children. Ask the nurses if you ever visit one. Rarely do the children come to visit. Sure, they visit like crazy during the first few months, then they... start... dropping.. off... until the older person hasn't seen them in ages.

And as a final mention for tonight, just because you're old, doesn't mean that you automatically get decrepit. Becoming decrepit enough to need care is often brought about a tiny bit by genetics, but more often by the person not taking care of themselves and becoming sedentary. That is when you start to 'rust' and get many of frailties, because your body isn't being used much and you just sit around. There are 75 year olds who are running marathons, and they aren't some freak exception, but just oldsters who decided that they weren't going to let themselves fall apart and then make somebody have to care for them.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote