View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Youtube has changed a lot over the years, but I mean a lot, I remember thinking that youtube "changed" for me around the time they changed the commenting system but that's probably been close to 10 years

But yeah, originally youtube was awesome it was a way for cybernauts share their stuff with other cybernauts, it wasn't any different than a forum so to speak, the more it grew the more diverse which while sad was ok.

The big change in youtube was when they allowed anyone to monetize videos, that's when "modern" youtube stars came on board whose only interest was not really the community but $$$$$$ instead, and that's what you see now, entitled youtubers who don't understand youtube owes them nothing and care more about views than their actual content.

Sure in the past we may have had groan worthy AMVs but hey, they were made with passion, now everyone wants to make money "making videos", instead of sharing cool original content like in the old days. That's not to say everyone on youtube is bad or youtube is bad, there's plenty of great things but youtube changed because the people making videos are in it for a financial motive for the most part and not as a hobby.
Another thing that we gotta remember is that, back then, phone cameras were pretty lousy. It's not like these days where most people don't even bother buying cameras anymore and can shoot a decent quality short video with their phone or tablet. That being said, the production values of videos by average joes on youtube seem to have increased a lot. I remember when most videos uploaded by people had rather lousy quality and everyone envied the quality of videos by Smosh and AVGN.

AMVs were harmless and a good way to practice video editing skills.

I can't even keep track of the way YT has changed in the past decade. It changes like 2-3 times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
If you run a business it's important to have a presence in all of them though you'll see that your brand mostly interacts with one of them, depending on the company some do better on FB, others on Twitter etc. So pay more attention to the one that is important, most companies have plenty of "social media gurus" to do it for them but if you're alone there are apps that can do all of them at the same time. The importance of social media in your business really depends but you need to do it, it's presence.
Yeah, like I said, if you run a business ofc having a big presence on social networks is important, but if you're just an average joe who doesn't own a business, then is there really a point in having accounts in every of those websites? I mean FB alone seems sufficient for me to keep me informed of what my contacts are up to and what are the current hot news.

Hi5 was popular in a random assortment of countries throughout the globe. I used to think it was mostly a Portuguese thing but turns out it was big in Ukraine, Mongolia and a few random Latin American countries as well. It's odd how Hi5 is an American company yet it doesn't have much presence in USA.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote