View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

I don't know, man. I got my first mobile phone when I was 10. The good ol Nokia 3210. But that was back in the year of 2000. What else could you do on that phone to kill time besides playing Snake?

But I did have access to the Internet at home by then alrwady. And it's not like my family supervised my Internet browsing constantly. We didn't stick very long with dialup, so it's not like they'd know how much I was browsing once we switched to broadband. And believe me, I quickly ran into rather... compromising fanart of my favourite cartoon characters from a few clicks on yahoo search by accident. It didn't exactly scar me for life.

Social media is a whole different animal, however. Back in the day my mother warned me to avoid chatrooms for my own safety. Chatrooms were the places people went to talk to strangers back in the day, but they were also easy to avoid if you weren't interested in them. The Internet is way more centralised nowadays and everything is based around social media. Chatrooms were very popular, but the Internet wasn't based around them. If you wanted to know what was happening in the country or around the world you were better off just turning on the TV or buy a newspaper.

If I was a kid nowadays I bet my mum would warn me not to share pics of myself in twitter and not to upload videos of myself onto YouTube. Just like she used to tell me back in the day not to reveal my real name or location to strangers online. I'm sure I'd understand her advice and follow it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote