View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #40
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Based on statistics, I'm positive there is alien life out there somewhere. But has it visited us? I don't know. I do know that some really crazy things have happened on earth, and some people have had some really interesting encounters. It's also statistically likely that some UFO sightings have just been experimental aircraft (don't say "I believe in UFOs" or "I don't believe in UFOs" because literally all that term means is there was something in the sky that was not readily identified. If you're actually discussing the likelihood of alien life existing or having visited our planet then use the proper term, extraterrestrials, or just "aliens"). I have read a lot of crazy stuff about secret governments that have made contact with and entered into agreements with extraterrestrial/extradimensional lifeforms, and it's interesting to think about even if the veracity of the claims is dubious. I could talk for a while about the claims peple have made that aliens exist and have built deep underground bases or that the earth is hollow or that there are terrestrial beings that live within the earth. I don't think physics supports the hollow earth theory but it's a fun Jules Verne-type idea to think about.

As for ghosts, I think there are a few different scenarios. One, that emotions or events can sometimes leave impressions on our world that ripple throughout time, which lead to most ghost sightings or the witnessing of scenes from the past. Then there's the cases where a deceased person seems to interact with loved ones or objects or sometimes even random people (like a new family that's moved into a house) from beyond the grave. Is this likely? I don't know. Possible, maybe. I think it's fair to say that there are limits to current science and science will even admit that there are things it cannot measure and things that we don't even know we dot know yet, so there's always room for us to improve our understanding of the world. Then there's cases with very strange entities that do not seem to be of this world. Again, I think that science has limits and what may seem mystical or improbable is at least possible. I'm skeptical of most accounts and hauntings (because I think people's minds are often more powerful than they realize and they can fall victim to their own superstitions) but I recognize the need to keep an open mind.

What about cryptids? I think some of them are definitively bullsh!t but the chances are pretty damn good that there are plenty of species we haven't discovered yet. There was one book on some of the more famous cryptids that I always used to check out from the library when I was a kid. Ogopogo, Mothman, thunderbirds, the ghost cat of DC, sasquatch, the Goatman, living dinosaurs in remote jungles. Some of them I'm positive are not real but others I still wonder about
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote