View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

I guess I'm a pretty big Sonic fan, although more the SatAM series and the comics than the games. I have all the Sonic/Knuckles/Sonic X/Sonic Universe comics until like 2 years ago. I do like most of the games a lot but I didn't have a Genesis as a kid so most of my Sonic gaming has been on various Nintendo systems through various Collections and remakes.

I will say flat-out that Sonic Adventure was, for its time, a great game and still holds up well next to most of its peers of that era. Tweak the camera a little and tighten up the collison detection and it's fine, people cry too much about anything that isn't "perfect" (as if even Mario64's camera was "perfect"). It was a little meandering and stuffed with unnecessary characters/sidequests to pad the length, but eh, I had a lot of fun with it, and it's always fun whenever I go back to it. SA2 wasn't as good, but I didn't think that was bad either. I even thought Heroes was something neat they tried, I get why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea but it made sense to me, if you HAVE to cram a Sonic game with characters that aren't Sonic, it at least made sense to have a team dynamic rather than force you to spend 2 hours playing solo as someone you don't care about just to get the "Good" ending.

Some people just won't accept Sonic in a 3D game, and I sort of get that, but I don't think gameplay issues hurt the franchise as much as Sega going crazy with having ten new non-Sonic characters in every game just to sell more toys. I'm glad to see a 2D revival of sorts, but I'm one of those people who thinks the 2D and 3D games can co-exist, as they each have their really good and really bad parts.

Speaking of, I even struggled through Secret Rings, and I'm not gonna lie, I *did* have some fun with it. Some. Although it's impossible to do so until 15 hours into it when you've unlocked basic skills like, say, JUMPING. There's a story and framework there that would've been better served by better controls.

Worst Sonic game I've played was probably the 2006 one; I at least finished Secret Rings, the controls in 2006 Sonic were so bad I gave up a few hours into it. I still plan to go back, though. Sadistic, I know. Blast kinda sucked, too, but at least it was playable. Haven't played Shadow yet, I've heard nothing but bad things. I don't really have a favorite, they're (mostly) all good in different ways.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote