View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I enjoy going into some TRUs near me, but the big stores usually feel empty of people. I can't imagine how much a store needs to clear a day to make a profit, but when you only sell plastic pieces of entertainment and baby clothes, most folks aren't going to casually browse the aisles. I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Largely my experience too.
yeah the few times I've been there as an adult it was rather empty. A large store being deovid of people is a bit unsettling.

TRU also sells video games... but so do many other places. The day of people buying video games at toy shops are long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's hard to judge Toys R Us for me as an adult but as a kid I absolutely loved it and it was easily my favorite toy store so it'll be a shame to see it go. I'm already sad I never got to visit the Time Square store that I saw as a kid in tons of movies, even if it was technically FAO Schwarz.

I think it really is the end of Toys R Us, it has been having trouble for nearly a decade now, this isn't even the first "scare" of TRU going away. So many memories, the last ones I had there as a kid were going to the Pokemon TCG League every saturday. Even KB Toys which I hated really left a hole when it left.

Amazon isn't only to blame though, kids buy less toys now and people shop online more, it's a mixture of both. I actually remember when Amazon used to fulfill TRU orders in the early 00's.

My TRU could be a bit slow in getting new stuff in and a lot of space was wasted that could've had more product but I still loved it. Sales were rare but I still found a few decent ones, got my first Mew there as well.
When i was a kid there were still some local toy shops around, so I got most of my toys and games form them. I count on one hand the stuff I've bought form TRU. I've been there once or twice as a kid sure, but don't remember buying anything there back in the day, tbh. Also, I believe TRU was firstly one of those big warehouse chains by the road/highway before it becoming just another store found at big malls/shopping centers.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote