View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #14
asfaloth12
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Looked like the Kraang to me, also the DVD movie that Ciro wanted to make takes place just before the mutagen bomb and I'm sure I remember reading that the turtles come back out of hiding as the Kraang have shown up.
As for why they would still be a hive mind if Kraang Prime was dead(as mentioned by Cubed) though I don't know.
Didn't Ciro talk about that on some panel last year? There was supposed to be some new entity forming from a fusion of the remains of Kraang Prime and bacteria in the Hudson River (Kraang Primordius, or some oddball name like that)? I assume that "entity" would have had the same psychic abilities as Kraang Prime. Yeah....it was a good thing this show ended when it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Anyway, since there really isn't any hints to suggest it was non-canon, isn't it weird to have that be the canon future? The Kraang were (kind of) defeated and then they got what they wanted anyway, killing off most characters in the series.
If it had been officially canon, it would have been a nihilistic way to end the series. And...I won't get into the misogynistic treatment of April and Karai. To be fair, I would have just interpreted it as an AU anyway, especially in light of the canon contradictions surrounding Renet and the future she comes from. We know that in canon, they have a bright future, and end up becoming "heroes of legend". Renet said as much back in Season 3. I have no problem with that and don't find it to be "weird" at all.
Overall, I prefer the official finale we got. "Wanted" at least paid tribute to the correct franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Oh it's definitely canon, alright. That's how Ciro wrote it, & so it is written.

I don't think it's weird, no. It's a dark note to go out on, but given the source material, Mirage, set the tone of unhappy endings & the like, I find it fitting. Bums me out a bit, everyone's fate, but I'm glad someone had the balls to go there, that people's feathers were ruffled, & that it tonally calls back to the old comics.
I think Nickelodeon would disagree with that. But, ultimately, it's a fantasy cartoon. It's up to audience interpretation. Ciro had the right to attempt to end things the way he wanted. Nick had the right to do what they wish with the franchise they own , and the audience has the right to voice their criticism, as well as their individual interpretations.
By the way, did Ciro actually write any of the apocalypse episodes? I seem to recall that Brandon Auman wrote The Wasteland Warrior. He said on his Twitter that it was up to audience interpretation whether it was "canon" or AU.

As for "dark", I thought that Requiem, Owari, and Darkest Plight were much darker episodes overall. MA was too goofy and even had a tacked on "happy" ending. It would have been a lot ballsier to kill off one or more of the turtles in a well-written story that made sense within the overall series.

A lot of people were quite upset back when we thought this was the official finale. Fortunately, Nick had other ideas. As for "ruffled feathers", it's been interesting. Typically, when you have a controversial episode in a show, the detractors usually throw the biggest tantrums. But in this case it was quite the opposite, to the point where people were afraid to even appear to suggest that the special was not canon. Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Episodes set in the future are always hypothetical. And the news articles about the final episodes depicted it as a possible future for the turtles. So while Ciro says all this happens when the Turtles are in their early twenties. If you don't see it as canon with the story, then you don't have to see it as canon.
Even Brandon Auman said something to this effect on his Twitter several months ago.