Thread: TMNT board game
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #74
The Shelf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Sure, games use dice. But based on the segment we saw, whether you do damage and how much, or whether you block and by how much, depends on rolling dice. Aside from King of Tokyo, that completely arbitrary mechanic isn't a part of the last dozen or so games I've played.
Just because you haven't played many games that use that mechanic doesn't mean it's outdated or too random. It's a very common combat mechanic to use dice for hits and blocks. X-Wing has a huge competitive scene, and aside from a few special cards it has completely dice based combat. Some more games I can name off the top of my head include Imperial Assault, Summoner Wars, Cyclades, Risk Legacy, Nexus Ops; and these are just games I've played. I'm sure there are many more.

As for TMNT, you aren't just stuck with the dice you roll for attack or defense. You can spend focus to reroll attack, defense, or action dice; you can use special attacks to boost your offense or defense abilities; you can spend multiple action dice in one action to perform a single strong attack or choose to spend the dice separately to attempt several weaker attacks; you can share your dice with your teammates to increase their offense or defense abilities. And these are just the things that have been explained by the designer so far. There are also allies, terrain effects, useable map items, and bonuses that carry over from the previous scenario if you were able to win.

Of course, all of this could fall apart in the execution, but the game mechanics so far have me pretty excited to finally have a good TMNT board game I can play with friends.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote