View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #83
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
I share that sentiment, but for me the 4Kids show (not just limiting it to Ch'rel) had another big problem; it spun the Shredder as a concept into flat-out Mary-Sue territory. Worse even than Venus De Milo, I'd argue, because at least the damage she caused was fixed, but we're still living with what 4Kids Shredder inflicted. The problem wasn't just Alien Shredder; it was Karai Shredder, Demon Shredder, Cyber Shredder (Barf!) and they'd have probably kept adding more if the show kept going. Ch'rel was ultimately a Deus Ex machinca to make it so Shredder could keep coming back, and even when he was finally defeated, some other version of Shredder came in to take his place. A more Mirage-accurate cartoon with wide distribution should have been the perfect place to prove (or at least, try to prove) that a TMNT series can sustain itself without Shredder as the perpetual Big Bad, and they failed to do so, which means by extension, probably every new incarnation to come after, short of a highly unlikely one that tries to be even more Mirage-accurate, will remain haunted by that failure.
Shredder being a real human in 4kids made a lot of sense, and Ch'rell being an imposter made sense. Demon Shredder worked fine.

I agree Viral didn't have to become Cyber Shredder, but it was the last season and BTTS wasn't going to be particular great to begin with.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote