View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most of the original white people in the U.S. were from Britain, obviously, so anyone not British was not considered white in the 1700-1800's. Irish people were also discriminated against harshly in the U.S. for years similar to blacks and Asians.
I wonder if in Portuguese, Dutch, Spanish and French colonised countries in the Americas something similar happened. Afaik, the Portuguese community in Brazil was a bit "closed off" and even though obviously tons of Brazilians have Portuguese last names, I believe many White Brazilians have no relation to Portugal whatsoever and are of Italian or German ancestry instead.

And aren't there nowadays more Americans of German and Irish ancestry than of English ancestry? Many Americans are of Italian ancestry as well.

Did people already talk about "races" in the 18th century, though? Because referring to people as "white", "black", "brown", etc. is a fairly recent phenomenon as far as History goes since science wasn't advanced enough to perform genetic tests in the 15th century, per example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It seems silly because it is silly, and yet those same tropes live on.
Race (human categorization)
Well, I think it's safe to say that most European people view each others as "white/european folk".

...although now that I think about it, I guess if I asked people if they consider Turks and Armenians as "White/European" I guess many would say "no".

I mean, technically there's lots of "white" people in Northern Africa and in the Levante region. Amazighers/berbers many could pass as Europeans, unlike Arabs from the gulf(Saudis, Iraqis, etc.) which obviously look more different.

...yeah best not to overthink this kind of stuff
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote