Thread: Discrimination
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #32
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Back in 2007, I'd lost my job of two years (bad housing market was the main cause) so that meant job hunting again and schooling online. I was registered with a job agency and the job I was sent out on was a temp to hire position. One of the jobs was an office job. I went, had my laptop so that I could do homework, type papers, stuff like that. No internet access though. The workplace was 99% white. I was the 1%, meaning I was the only person of color there...literally. When I walked in to meet the manager (or the supervisor, I forget), her smile faded when realizing that I was the one she was meeting. She also looked puzzled as she reconfirmed my name twice.

Anyway, after three days, I was fired. Reason? For goofing off online/using the internet for inappropriate things. I didn't have my own cubicle nor did I have a work computer, and my laptop didn't have net access. Bottom line, they lied. I saw other employees playing Yahoo games and one I recall looking at WWE's site, and the supervisor was with me during that and those employees had worked there a few years.
Ugh, that's terrible! I hope you found another employer who valued your skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I've been passed over for promotions in favor of guys in my department even though I'm routinely called the best at my job, take on harder cases than they do, and come in earlier and stay later than they do. I've asked three levels of managers for feedback as to why I was passed over with no response. Only that I'm the best worker they have.

One guy just got promoted over me and he spends most of his time wandering around the office talking about his kids sports and routinely comes in an hour late and leaves an hour early. Then when he's behind on his work he "delegates" to me.
That guy sounds like a a$$hole. Sadly I know a guy a bit like that in my workplace only he's not my boss (in fact, salary is based on bands from lowest to highest, he's a band 1 and I'm a band 2), but he still fobs off his work on other people. He only gets away with it because he's close to management.

He's also made quite a few discriminatory comments like repeatedly referring to me as 'little girl' and one time when I asked him politely to turn the radio down so I could hear people, explaining that I have a condition that can make it harder to focus around too much noise, he just said I should get a new job. Another time he referred to a patient on a learning disability ward as 'simple' and said you just need to treat them like children.

He only gets away with it because he's close to management.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote