View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #26
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer
I think if that success and quality could be replicated today, the fans would be in for a real treat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Nah. In a post-Grand Theft Auto, post-Arkham Asylum world, normal gamers expect way more than side-scrolling button mashing Final Fight clones these days. People aside from 30, 40 year-old hipsters, that is. Who want to sit in their retro 80s sofa, playing an actual NES console, adjusting their man bun while sipping their organic chai latte and feeling sophisticated.
I think you misunderstood my statement regarding success and quality. By "success", I really mean something that can't really be planned for in development. The success comes after the game's release when it's positively received by fans/players. Upon release, TMNT and Turtles in Time were both VERY successful games that really stood out among other games of the era. If THAT success could be replicated today...meaning a TMNT game is released that is considered a high-quality, fun game when compared to other games out right now, that would be a real treat for fans.

And by "quality", I really mean the same thing. When the early TMNT arcade games came out, they were of much higher quality than many of the games that were out at the time. Just as before, if we were to get a TMNT game today that was of equal or higher quality than most of the games coming out today, it would be a great thing for fans. After playing the 2007 movie game and the first 2012 animated series game, I know the TMNT property isn't setting the world ablaze with quality (though I admit, I liked a lot of things about OOTS).

Am I suggesting that they should simply re-hash the same beat-em-up formula that was so successful in the early to mid 90's? No. What I'm saying is if we could get someone to invest money and talent into a TMNT game and replicate the success felt by the TMNT games of the early 90's, TMNT fans and gamers alike would be in good shape.