View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I gave foreign language classes for almost 6 years so I'm well aware that it's difficult and the older the more difficult it is. And yes most people quit, only a small percentage finished the courses with a good level. But I had a student who was truly awful and already a grandpa even if not too old and it took him years and he was very dedicated but really bad and in the end he learned it pretty well.

I have the advantage that I'm not really starting from Zero and already speak it/understand it better than most people who say they speak 2 languages but don't really. I took French in High School for 3 years, then took it again for a year and a half while I waited to get into a chinese school just to remember the stuff I had learned and I stopped to try to learn Chinese when I was finally able to but after a year and a half with Mandarin I realized it was just too difficult and stopped. I took French again because I was staying in Quebec for a month and that's when my passion reignited, this time to really finish what I had left undone the previous times and I'm omitted, I will learn French fluently.

You just need Dedication/Time, yes other things make it easier such as a great teacher, passion, material and exposure. Thanks to the internet material is easy to come by the others are a bit more difficult to find but possible if doing it right.

Using the European framework I would consider myself to be near the b1 level and I hope to have a solid B1 level by the end of my "1 year commitment". I originally wanted to get as close to B2 level but I don't see that happening by June, by the end of the year or 2019? I'm counting on it, without the pressure of University it should be a lot easier.

I wish another dromer joined the comittment
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote