View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #51
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Heh, you're welcome! I love me some Digimon and Digimon Tamers [my favourite continuity] is slightly overlooked because it was darker than what came before it. If I'm allowed, I can [and have in the past] go on for HOURS about how Tamers and 2k3 are really similar, even down to fan reaction -- the two shows were produced at around the same time [2001-2002, and 2003, respectively], both of them were regarded as "they changed it now it sucks" at first but were later given a "it's the darker and edgier version and respect-worthy" label after they ended, both feature wham episodes that crank up the "emotionally traumatizing events happening to fictional characters" meter, and they even take similar approaches to character writing, especially in relation to series instalments prior. But I should probably shut my trap now and just end this with a mention that Tamers along with Digimon Adventure and its sequel Digimon Adventure 02 are on Netflix right now. I've been rewatching them :V

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if the conjoined twins thing was really that "out there" for me. I suppose in the 2000's my answer might have been different, but as it stands now, I feel Insane in the Membrane and Same as it Never Was were much less kid-friendly than that concept. I dunno, I just always had the feeling the idea was deemed so controversial just because it was Hun and Garbageman, the latter of which wasn't too popular a villain.

But yeah, I didn't start reading Mirage until after I watched most of 2k3 myself. I've seen some violence in cartoons and I've seen some real instances of getting **** past the radar, but nothing beats decapitating the Shredder. When I showed my mother that part of that episode, she even told me "if I had seen this on Saturday morning when you were 12, I probably wouldn't have let you keep watching this". [I have the feeling she was exaggerating though since I was watching Inuyasha at the same time as this, and she used to sit down and watch that one with me so she KNEW how bad it was].
Well, it seems like a pretty interesting show. I'm glad you enjoy it. Is it on the UK Netflix too? There used to be lots of anime there but much of it was removed. Makes no difference anyway as I can access US Netflix

Yeah, the conjoined twins thing didn't bother me in the slightest, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm thinking more in terms of the kids - many of them wouldn't understand what was going on. Garbageman wasn't popular - I didn't like him either. Perhaps you're right in saying that was a reason for it being canned.

SAINW is just brilliant, could rewatch that episode again and again. It's pretty similar to the Gargoyles ep involving time travel, as well as Days of Future Past.

What your mum said to you may only have been half-serious, but lots of parents would have genuinely meant it. I mean I was 21 at the time and even I found it pretty shocking - I can imagine it may have been upsetting for some kids - although you were 12 at the time the show came out, right? Did you watch the show years afterwards?

Either way, I love the show. I'm gonna log out in about half an hour and go watch some more of it, as well as some more Hannibal. This is my favourite cartoon of all time, even beating Justice League TAS and Batman TAS.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote