View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #23
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
My two cents, which will probably sound defensive, but not my intention:

Most everything said above is accurate. But I'll also add that Walking Dead and Saga are exceptions, as they are written by two of the most talented/influential creators of the last 15-20 years. Those books have caught fire in a way that is really rare.

Other than that... we're at issue #74. I can't think of another book outside of the Walking Dead that has been around as long, charting as high, without restarting with a new #1 (or returning to legacy numbering which doesn't count!). I'm sure even without renumbering things like Batman and Spider Man and some others would chart higher, but hopefully the general point makes sense. The popularity of TMNT is what has kept us afloat all this time. I mean, I think we do a good job and everything, but I think a large part of that longevity is due to the brand.

I'm sure we'd get a good sales boost in the short term from a new #1, but our sales level has been consistent so it hasn't made sense to do that. And we don't have big time "names" on our books. (Kevin sorta counts, but I doubt the average comic book reader really knows who he is-- he's not a major draw outside the world of TMNT). If Brian K. Vaughn wrote some TMNT, our numbers would go up I'm sure.

In short, let's see where something like Seven to Eternity is in two years. There's been a lot of books that have charted higher that have come and gone in the six years we've been on the stands.

Other than that, I think it's just a matter of TMNT not being around as long, or as visible in the comics medium as consistently as something like X-men or Batman. TMNT has been around for 30+ years, but there's a good chunk of time in those years where TMNT comics were not getting wide distribution. So it makes sense that the fanbase isn't as wide as something like X-men.
Very insightful. It's great to have the perspective of someone in the industry! The superb fan engagement and approachability is also a factor in the longevity of the current TMNT run. Thanks for taking time out of your day to weigh in.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote