View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #30
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
No, Cubed, it was basically the opposite. Computer nerds were around long before there WAS an internet- they were the ones building/programming them! And yes, they WERE ostracized- because they were already considered "weird"/geeks, losers with no life (or just too smart- aka eggheads- by "normal" people) and they were the ones who spent their time working on computers; programming them, creating networks, and such. I grew up IN that time period, when schools first began to teach computer literacy classes (this included BASIC operating program and ACAD, BTW) and showing kids how to use and make simple programs. It was a way to get more kids used to the idea of using computers (and later the Net) as a TOOL. Something they didn't need to be afraid of for lack of understanding.

Seriously, while most "geeks" WERE shunned back in the early days of the Net, it was because they were ALREADY social pariahs due to their interests in science and technology, NOT because of the time they spent on the Net. That came later. Now there are so many people on it that it just seems commonplace. But people have ALWAYS told "nerds" to "get out and get a life" even before there WAS an internet! (I should know, I was considered a nerd/geek all through school, due to being smart and being in advanced English and History courses through most of school. Also being a bookworm, in Latin Club and playing chess, among other things.)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote