View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
My name was invoked, so I might as well stop lurking and chime in!
Spoiler:

My view of this is: Pre-Technodrome, Burnow Island was a hermit state, akin to North Korea. Very little goes in or out. Not much opportunity for the outside world to know about what's going on there. As far as anyone knows, it's just a very small dictatorship that has no strategic value.

After the island is terraformed, all the world would know is what they are able to pick up satellites: "something" happened. Some nations would likely take a boat up to investigate and do some readings-- they'd see that something terrible has happened akin to a huge radioactive accident. Regardless, they can't get any closer without full hazmat suits, etc... they're forced to be at a distance. On top of that, this is a sovereign nation. You can't just walk on in unannounced. And I think it's also safe to assume that Fugitoid or the Utroms would send out a warning message for others to stay away.

So, in short-- it's a dangerous place to be and no one from the outside world has permission to enter, if they even wanted.

Now, of course something like the Technodrome going off would attract the attention of more covert groups like Bishop and the EPF. That's why we first saw him monitoring the island. But it's still not easy to get on to the island, and Bishop has since had his hands full with the mutants of NYC and the Triceraton invasion. Plus, there's no reason for anyone to think that there are aliens on the island. Krang would have kept that a big secret. Maybe one can guess that Bishop has things figured out, but maybe he hasn't. From my (limited) reading/understanding of intelligence agencies, in hindsight it's amazing what kind of secrets they can find out, but also amazing at the types of huge things they can totally miss on. (WMD in Iraq comes to mind). But how much Bishop does or doesn't know isn't information that the reader needs to know at this time, in our opinion.

Hopefully that's enough cover to justify what at the end of the day is just a storytelling decision: while we wanted to introduce Bishop sniffing around Burnow Island but we haven't wanted to dive full into a Bishop vs. Utrom storyline to date.
Okay, that all makes enough sense. It works for me!

Thanks, Bobby!