The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #21
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddhead View Post
^ Some really great picks there, Ive got almost all of them in my personal collection. I don't know if you're into sports games, But NHL 94 and NBA Jam T.E. are probably the best sports games on the SNES. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent playing them.
What makes NHL 94 better than, say, NHL 95 or 96? Anything in particular?
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
94 was the first year the game got the NHL license, that means it was the first time they were allowed to use the actual team names, player names, and player numbers. It was also the first game to include the "one timer" shot. Its honestly hard to describe what makes the game so perfect, you really need to play it to see. But its got a die hard fan following even to this day.
Check out this site:
http://www.nhl94.com/

Even now there are tons of people who use emulators to create online leagues and play against each other online. There are even Roms with updated rosters to match today's NHL.

If you're curious try a rom and see if its something you could get into.

It just has a certain magic and "feel" that wasn't replicated in the years to follow

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse looks pretty fantastic. I'll definitely check it out.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I prefer the Sega X-Men games, but the Capcom charm is clearly evident in the SNES game.

Quote:
Prices for that game. Are. Insane.
People must really love Clint & Annie!

I have been lucky enough to find most of my used SNES games for between $5-10 at some local stores. SNES games have always been more in demand on the resell market than Genesis carts, but I had no idea there such a recent spike of interest in them.

Quote:
I loooove Battletoads & Double Dragon. Love, love, love. Though I still think the original is somewhat superior.
Heh, it's been years since I've popped that cart into my SNES. I loved Double Dragon II on NES but no other game in that series has been able to live up to my expectations. I actually haven't even spent that much time trying to advance through it either.
I am a fan of beat em' ups, good or bad. I do enjoy the Captain Commando port on SNES, even though it's very much watered down from the Arcade. I've also got The Death and Return of Superman, which is somewhat unforgiving but fun.

Quote:
I've always preferred '96 over '94, even though '94 commands the most nostalgia and even has its own fan-site.

Each of the old EA NHL games have their own unique features and charm, which makes them hold up better today than EA other sports series from the 16-bit era. I'd say if you are a hockey fan, you might as well try to track down all of the EA hockey games since you can probably buy them loose for about $1 each.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
People must really love Clint & Annie!
It's just one of those things where there aren't a ton of copies floating around, especially in decent condition, so collectors blow it into astronomical proportions to justify paying the prices. Reading most SNES collection threads across the Internet, you could very easily be fooled into thinking Wild Guns is one of the most incredible SNES games ever made, which is an absolute load. Really, most of the super rare stuff out there isn't very good. It's the moderately rare, or at least highly sought after, games that really do warrant their going price tags.

Speaking of weird rare SNES games, I played a bunch of EVO last night and...what the f*ck IS that game? I got to the first boss, which handily destroyed me several times over, but I feel like that may be another game where the quality doesn't warrant the outrageous price.

Also, yeah, NHL 94' is the SNES hockey game.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #25
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Picked up my Super NES today. After a bit of dish detergent scrubbing, voilĂ :

Also, to video game connoisseurs operating in the Toronto area: avoid Xtreme Games Interactive at 1539 Dundas. Man, do they ever operate a sh*t-show. Not only are their SNES cartridges obscenely priced -- up to $80 for a loose Super Metroid cart -- their trade-in valuations are garbage.

Five of my lesser-used PSP games could only count towards thirteen dollars' worth of store credit. So I said, "F*ck off," and off I promptly f*cked.

A place near the Dufferin branch Public Library knocked $30 off a (more reasonably priced) copy of Super Mario All-Stars for four of my PSP games. Gave 'em a fiver for the difference. That, my friends, made me happy.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #26
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Picked up my Super NES today. After a bit of dish detergent scrubbing, voilĂ :

Was most of the console yellowed? I'm asking because that's what happened to mine.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Was most of the console yellowed? I'm asking because that's what happened to mine.
No, in general there was very little yellowing. There was, however, a couple of decades' worth of grime embedded into the plastic at various spots, most noticeably on the cartridge flap.

A little dish detergent and some scrubbing did away with that.

Oddly enough, only one of the controllers is actually a Super Nintendo controller -- model SNS-005, made in Japan. The other is a Super Famicom controller made in China.

Quote:
I'd say if you are a hockey fan, you might as well try to track down all of the EA hockey games since you can probably buy them loose for about $1 each.
Betcha I can't find 'em anywhere near that cheap.

...Aaaand I've just realized my A/V cables are useless because I don't have the original remote to my old-model Orion television set, and no way to access the Aux input.

God. Dammit.

Got a Nintendo RF adapter you can throw my way, Peanut?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #28
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
No, in general there was very little yellowing. There was, however, a couple of decades' worth of grime embedded into the plastic at various spots, most noticeably on the cartridge flap.
So much for getting mine clean then.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #29
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
So much for getting mine clean then.
Here you go, sir: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

And: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Using+Retr0Bright

Not as simple as dish washing detergent, but there is hope.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #30
Peanut
Second Gear

I'll scrounge around. I know I've got at least two of them and probably a third somewhere. I've got all my post-NES Nintendo stuff hooked up via S-Video now, so I've got a bunch of spare A/V cables kicking around my game room.

Anyways, $80 for Super Metroid actually isn't terribly unreasonable at this point, as insane as that sounds. I mean...it's totally f*cking unreasonable, but in this climate it's pretty standard. Although the cheaper alternative of picking up the SFC Super Metroid at half the price complete, or a third loose, is easily the best way to go. Not only is it the exact same rom as the US version, it has far superior artwork.

VS

I can't believe Mario All-Stars is worth more than $15, though. That's completely insane to me, though it doesn't totally surprise me considering you see sh*t like SMB/Duck Hunt "selling" for $15 and SMB3 "selling" for $25-$30 at a lot of stores around here. Sh*t is totally ridiculous.

BTW, I've heard that Retrobright sh*t is a total risk. I know a lot of collectors who've ruined stuff trying to use it, but I also know a few people who swear by it. It's really luck of the draw with the yellow of SNES plastic. I have two original SNES's from when I was a kid. One is perfect except the plastic around the controller ports is slightly yellowed, the other one is moderately yellowed on the entire bottom. I've thought a few times about taking them apart and swapping everything around so I've got a fully un-yellowed machine, but I'm always afraid of ruining my childhood stuff.

Edit: If you need an RF adapter immediately. I've dealt with this place on numerous occasions and they're super fast and super nice.

Last edited by Peanut; 04-05-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #31
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I can't believe Mario All-Stars is worth more than $15, though. That's completely insane to me, though it doesn't totally surprise me considering you see sh*t like SMB/Duck Hunt "selling" for $15 and SMB3 "selling" for $25-$30 at a lot of stores around here. Sh*t is totally ridiculous.
Yep. I haven't found a North American copy of Super Mario All-Stars on Ebay, or anywhere else, for less than $25. And if it ever does sell for a little less online, then the shipping charges jack it right back up to $30-$40. The mom-and-pop shops probably tell themselves that to justify the price.

Xtreme Games Interactive had it for $45, for example.

Anyway. I traded some PSP games I was using as paperweights and got it for $5. It seemed an especially sweet deal after having the above-mentioned dealer say these games of mine were only worth $2 each.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #32
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I got a copy of Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings if ya want it....

Kidding, kidding.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #33
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Yep. I haven't found a North American copy of Super Mario All-Stars on Ebay, or anywhere else, for less than $25. And if it ever does sell for a little less online, then the shipping charges jack it right back up to $30-$40. The mom-and-pop shops probably tell themselves that to justify the price.

Xtreme Games Interactive had it for $45, for example.
I don't understand how any of these places are able to make a profit like this. I know they can on eBay simply because of how awful the "Buy Now" feature has become, but how does a physical store stay in business with such insane prices? Like I said before, I've been around a couple times to scope places and each time I go in it's like the exact same stock. Nothing moves. How is it possible!?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #34
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
I don't understand how any of these places are able to make a profit like this. I know they can on eBay simply because of how awful the "Buy Now" feature has become, but how does a physical store stay in business with such insane prices? Like I said before, I've been around a couple times to scope places and each time I go in it's like the exact same stock. Nothing moves. How is it possible!?
Maybe they make swift profit on the newer stuff? I dunno. I sometimes think they hold NES/SNES stock just to add a retro "cool factor" to the place without having any intention of parting with the stuff.

Maybe they deal meth out the back.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #35
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I got a copy of Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings if ya want it....

Kidding, kidding.
I can't really laugh too hard because I totally bought Michael Jordan's Chaos in the Windy City.

Quote:
Maybe they make swift profit on the newer stuff? I dunno. I sometimes think they hold NES/SNES stock just to add a retro "cool factor" to the place without having any intention of parting with the stuff.

Maybe they deal meth out the back.
Never thought of that, but it's a brilliant theory.

I hope you find some good deals hidden among the prevailing price inflation.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #36
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Betcha I can't find 'em anywhere near that cheap.
I highly doubt you won't be able to find any "yearly" sports game for under $5. Half the time you can talk the store into throwing one in with one of those more expensive cartridges.

If you ever find yourself around the Pittsburgh/ Ohio area check out The Exchange. Its the best used game/movie/music store I've ever been too. Usually great prices and legitimate trade in offers. I honestly don't know how the Gamestops in my area are still in business. I swear people only go there for preorders.

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #37
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Edit: If you need an RF adapter immediately. I've dealt with this place on numerous occasions and they're super fast and super nice.
No worries, problem solved: a trip to Value Village and one cheap-o universal remote was all it took. Now I can get to my TV's auxiliary mode. Which is a good thing, because I much prefer the A/V cable output. RF adapter video is just so bad.

Quote:
Never thought of that, but it's a brilliant theory.
What is? The retro street cred or the meth?

Last edited by Ecto Jedi; 04-06-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #38
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

My Super Mario All-Stars cartridge is being a little b*tch. Not surprising, I guess. I read that the lifespan of the average SNES cart battery is 10-15 years. Mine will save and retain your progress, but sometimes will refuse to boot up once the power is turned on.

The TV screen flickers when this happens, so I'm assuming the SNES is outputting its video alright. The cart won't start though. A little blowing -- or simply ejecting and reinserting -- will get it up and running again, but sometimes the save files are gone.

I'm not entirely disappointed. Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 sort of had save features before there even were save features. Warp zones. Brilliant idea.

Also, relevant to our discussion on pricing:

Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #39
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
My Super Mario All-Stars cartridge is being a little b*tch. Not surprising, I guess. I read that the lifespan of the average SNES cart battery is 10-15 years. Mine will save and retain your progress, but sometimes will refuse to boot up once the power is turned on.

Also, relevant to our discussion on pricing:

I believe I tried playing my Super Mario All-Stars cartridge a few years ago, only to see that the memory had been erased. I don't remember ever erasing it myself. However, it still works and still saves. The same thing happened with my The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past cartridge as well.

As for that video, I'm really not sure what to think of it. I'm really not. Though I'm kind of offended by it, really. I'm thinking it's supposed to make me feel guilty for wanting an SNES back then, and for even owning one at all. I remember my mother not wanting me to get an SNES at first. First, she told me that if I get it, I'd have to give my NES away. Then some time after that, she didn't want me to get it at all. In fact, when Christmas was drawing near in 1991, she told me about this time when she was in a store, a man came in asking for a Genesis for his kids. They told him they only have SNES units, and that the man said that his kids would laugh him out of the house if he came home with an SNES. At least I wouldn't have. I eventually got one though, and I think the price lowered by the time I did. People dug the SNES, even though some were afraid to admit it. Those Genesis fanboys were much louder about their Genesis love though, and the ones who hated the SNES just couldn't express their disdain enough. Me though, I never regretted owning an SNES. I wouldn't have minded having a Genesis either, but after enjoying the NES after so many years, the SNES was definitely a must.

Anyway, if those people interviewed in the clip thought Nintendo was so bad for putting out a new system that's more powerful than the NES and how it cost more, then that was only the beginning, and they can't make Nintendo out to be the devil anymore either. Besides, didn't Sega get the same kind of backlash from parents about the Genesis?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #40
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
As for that video, I'm really not sure what to think of it. I'm really not. Though I'm kind of offended by it, really.
A shake of the head will do. It's typical local news nighttime filler made for adults and viewed by...Well, adults. You can practically hear the pitch. No murders, no rapes, no robberies -- Phil, slap together something negative and scandal-mongering featuring something tried and tested. Kids.

Kids being taken advantage of.

...By corporations. And finish with a nod to Pac-Man. Gold!

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games