The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

UK Toy Fair 2015 TMNT Report

I've just got back from the UK Toy Fair, and spent most of my time on the Flair stand, drooling over all the TMNT stuff...

There wasn't nearly as much as last year (makes sense, since last year the focus was on the movie), and most of what was shown was either old, or non-figure related. Also, none of the people I spoke to were particularly knowledgeable about TMNT.

Basic Line:

Everything shown has already been released, apart from Wave 3 2015 (Due October in the UK, no doubt much earlier in the USA):

Head Droppin' Turtles - yeah, they're doing these in the smaller scale. Pretty crappy, the gimmick didn't work all that well and the paint apps are reduced even further (the ankle & wrist wraps weren't even painted). All 4 brothers are due, although Raph was missing for some reason...

Monkey Brains - I think we saw a pic of him at SDCC, the figure's nice and big but has a very simple sculpt & paintjob. The figure I saw was a proto, I'm told the final figure will have some kind of action feature.

Dream Beaver - Fairly basic, barely articulated red beaver dude. Again, the paint apps have been cut - he's didn't even have the design on his stomach!

Attilla the Frog - Looked like a happy meal toy. Articulated at the shoulders only, he's hollow to accommodate his action feature - flip a lever on his back, and his tongue sticks out.

Shredder Clones (?) - No one knew much about these, apparently they'll come as a 2-pack. One was normal size, orange with lobster claws, the other was a smaller unarticulated neon pink dude with some kind of tendrils/tentacles coming off him. Both had metallic blue armour.

Non figure stuff:

Mutations - there's a new line of Mutation figures where each Turtle turns into his signature weapon. Neither turtle nor weapon mode looked very good (unless you're into half-arsed mecha turtles). I got to play around with Mikey, and he was very tricky to convert, and his weapon mode is basically 2 10" sticks that are a bit floppy in the middle. Only Leo & Mike were on display, but all 4 will be made.

T-Machines - think TMNT Hot Wheels. Cars featuring the main cast (each car comes single-packed or in multipacks, and each has multiple colour schemes). There's also a range of playsets, a sewer lair, streettop and Shredder attack. Admittedly, these looked quite fun.

Giant Leo Playset - this was by far the coolest thing I saw at TF. It's a massive, 2' tall articulated Leo figure that folds out into a massive playset, with several different areas. It's not as tall as the Sewer Lair, but its footprint is about 4 times bigger. It's scaled to the regular figures.

I'll get some pictures of the catalogue up tomorrow, but there's not a lot in there that we haven't already seen.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

I wonder if the odd coloring of the RTNY Shredder clones in the color classics books is due in part to these Shredder clone figures/ the coloring of the characters in the Nick show?
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
The Sports Warrior
Thug

Thanks for the write up! May I just ask what kind of playset the giant leo turns into? Like what environment is it? Sewer or whatever? Hope I'm making sense!
The Sports Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Ugagerman
Thug

Thanks for the info Disco. I can't wait for the pics.
Ugagerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
snake
Disgusting

Shredder clones are interesting. You mean Napoleon instead of Atilla, right? Not much new stuff...
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Shredder clones are interesting. You mean Napoleon instead of Atilla, right? Not much new stuff...
Nope, Attilla. Fat blue dude. No sign of a Napoleon figure, don't know if one's even planned.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogod View Post
Nope, Attilla. Fat blue dude. No sign of a Napoleon figure, don't know if one's even planned.
He's planned DVDtook a picture of the back of the packaging of the mystic turtles and he's there.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
He's planned DVDtook a picture of the back of the packaging of the mystic turtles and he's there.
Well, there ya go. We've got 2 of the Frogs on the way, then.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Well, there ya go. We've got 2 of the Frogs on the way, then.
Oh wow. That's awesome then.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkixEXG8TDQ

Atila and Muckman are shown here.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #11
mikey0
Mad Scientist

A Giant Leo playset?

You mean like the Turtle in a Turtle playsets from 1995?

Is there anything original about the 2k12 line that isn't crappy like Monkey Brains or Fishface?
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:14 AM   #12
Rukitron
Stone Warrior

Giant Leo playset figure aside, it feels like Playmates is getting worse and worse in terms of quality and ideas.

To be honest I'm not sure what they could be doing, but definitely not this half assed stuff.
Rukitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:12 AM   #13
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

I think the problem is that they're trying to branch out too much - aside from the basic & classic figure lines, there's the Half-Shell Heroes, T-Machines, Mutations, various electronic figures... A company like Hasbro does the same type of thing, but they're big enough that they can devote resources to sub-lines without the core lines suffering.

Other stuff from yesterday - Apparently TMNT jumped in popularity over here last year (it's now the #2 boys brand). The TV show increased its ratings by around 20%, and 2014 was the best-selling year for TMNT toys since the line was launched. The movie toys weren't big sellers (in fact, they drastically underperformed), however.

Re. the Leo playset - the head, arms, legs & body all fold out into different areas. There's a garage/workshop section, lair, half-pipe and some other bits & pieces I can't remember. The piece I saw was a prototype, and still quite rough in places. It's due out around October and has a RRP of 99.99.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #14
OrokuYoshiFilms
Stone Warrior

So in your honest opinion Discogod, would you rather have that Leo playset or the Shredder playset that got canceled? Basically I wanna know which one's better to you.
OrokuYoshiFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #15
DVD
Mad Scientist

Thank you for the revue.
The Leo set sounds exciting. Looking forward to seeing images of it.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukitron View Post
Giant Leo playset figure aside, it feels like Playmates is getting worse and worse in terms of quality and ideas.

To be honest I'm not sure what they could be doing, but definitely not this half assed stuff.
They need to take notes from the Playmates team of the late 80s and early 90s.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #17
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrokuYoshiFilms View Post
So in your honest opinion Discogod, would you rather have that Leo playset or the Shredder playset that got canceled? Basically I wanna know which one's better to you.
I never saw the Shredder playset, but I'd no doubt pick the Leo set. It's the coolest TMNT playset I've seen since the original sewer lair, and I can't wait to see how it looks when it's a final product. I saw a lot of cool stuff yesterday (including THE original James Bond DB5), but the Leo playset was the by far the greatest thing I saw. It's the kind of toy I'd have killed for as a child...
Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
nimajneb
Stone Warrior

I'd like to think the surge in popularity is due to the movie and the audience growing as a result of the nicTMNT showing on channel 5 now.
The Leo-Playset sounds intriguing.
The movie stuff has been nothing but peg warmers where ever i go. A shame as the sculpts are really great, just basic paint apps

Quote:
I think the problem is that they're trying to branch out too much - aside from the basic & classic figure lines, there's the Half-Shell Heroes, T-Machines, Mutations, various electronic figures... A company like Hasbro does the same type of thing, but they're big enough that they can devote resources to sub-lines without the core lines suffering.

Other stuff from yesterday - Apparently TMNT jumped in popularity over here last year (it's now the #2 boys brand). The TV show increased its ratings by around 20%, and 2014 was the best-selling year for TMNT toys since the line was launched. The movie toys weren't big sellers (in fact, they drastically underperformed), however.

Re. the Leo playset - the head, arms, legs & body all fold out into different areas. There's a garage/workshop section, lair, half-pipe and some other bits & pieces I can't remember. The piece I saw was a prototype, and still quite rough in places. It's due out around October and has a RRP of 99.99.

MICHELANGELO
I hear his bike turns into a plane, or like a jet pack. Hey Don, you're so smart, why don't we have jet packs?
DONATELLO
Yeah, that's good, Mikey. I don't even trust you with a driver's license.
[/
nimajneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
OrokuYoshiFilms
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I never saw the Shredder playset, but I'd no doubt pick the Leo set. It's the coolest TMNT playset I've seen since the original sewer lair, and I can't wait to see how it looks when it's a final product. I saw a lot of cool stuff yesterday (including THE original James Bond DB5), but the Leo playset was the by far the greatest thing I saw. It's the kind of toy I'd have killed for as a child...
Thanks! Ok now I'm interested...
OrokuYoshiFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #20
snake
Disgusting

Catalog pics yet? Not to be impatient.