The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-22-2016, 01:24 AM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since Tristan Jones wrote those two Infestation issues its obvious why. Honestly if you ignore the color bandanas that story would fit into the Mirage universe perfectly. Splinter was even colored brown in those issues instead of gray like he is in the IDW series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #62
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i'll be honest i DID NOT pick up on Koya the first read!
and when i saw that on the second time through it was a pretty nice surprise!

i wish TMNT Infestation 2 had more to it that just the 2 issues!!
it seemed like it ended just as it was getting started.

it could have used at least one more issue?
(and more gore! LOTS MORE gore!!!)
Old 01-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its also weird the Infestation 2-parter was never referenced again. In the main ongoing you always see them bring up events from them micros and mini's (and you get an asterisk telling you to see those issues), but the Infestation monsters were never brought up.

Even those awful TMNT Annual #1 characters like Kanada, those cops, that Irish guy, and those others boring characters showed up again in City Fall.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #64
myconius
Abby Normal

yeah, it really feels like it wasn't canon!

plus the fact that it never made the IDW collection!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #65
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
Turtles In Time does indeed take place chronologically after the 2014 Annual. The 2014 Annual's publication was just delayed from its original date; it was originally supposed to hit the streets first. I think its official placement is between "Northampton" and "Monsters, Misfits and Madmen."
ah! thank you!

i had a feeling it was, but just wasn't sure!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #66
CyberCubed
Overlord

The strange thing is Bobby has said those issues are canon too, yet they're never referenced.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #67
myconius
Abby Normal

i guess it'll have to be classified like most of the continuity of "The Big Two"

a 'canon event' that has occurred but ....

A- doesn't have any lasting effect on any other stories

B- doesn't really coincide with any other story

C- never gets mentioned again

and the sad thing is that sort of thing happens ALL TOO often with both Marvel and DC.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #68
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I have now read through issue 4. Raphael being separated eas supposed to play off his anger and loner issues. Hob wanted a rurtle for food? I just don't see that. Would have preferred another way to fit in Hob. Turtles foghting to kill a gang? It's too Image for me. The ploy of all wearing red to honor Raphael while he is M. I. A. then putting on their favorite color? Another thing you have to just shut your brain off about. It was atill hard to get into even with a dew years past.

I did like the set up of the Turtles reuniting similar to how they came to Raphael and Casey Jones' aide in Meet Casey Jones episode of the 2003 cartoon and respective comic. It was interesting to have them meet Casey Jones first. It also shows how Old Hob has grown from being a bully who lives to kill the Turtles to having his own unique family trying to do what he thinks is right even if it is not so. One element remained in that instead of intimidating a group of teenage thugs to surround himself with and give orders to he has mutants like him he cares about. It's the fact he needs someone to lead and surround himself with.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Turtles weren't trying to kill Hob's gang, what are you talking about? Splinter specifically forbids them to kill. That's brought up time and time in the series.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #70
myconius
Abby Normal

yeah, Leo actually stopped Raph from crossing the line with Hob in issue #4.
i'm not 100% sure how i feel about the Turtles "no kill" policy?
but so far the only time one had come close was Leo with Slash, but that was an accident and Slash lived anyway.
HECK! Leo didn't even kill when he was brainwashed by Shredder!!!

the reasoning for the brothers all wearing red ...
sure it was a bit of a stretch ...
sure it might've been a bit hokey ...
but i still thought it was pretty cool!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:29 AM   #71
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've re-read everything up until Attack on Technodrome so far. I'm amazed how many plot points are called back to and aren't forgotten, and how much great set-up there is for the villains.

We know all about Shredder and Krang's backstory for example. So much focus on Hun, and Old Hob, and a bit on Baxter and Karai. April's stolen ooze heals her father, Hob's mutagen mutates more Mutanimals, Karai's stolen mutagen makes Bebop/Rocksteady and Koya/Bludgeon.

Angel becoming Nobody, Alopex becoming good, all the focus on Metalhead of all things. Fugitoid and the Neutrinos struggle, the set up with Kitsune and The Rat King.

Man, reading everything back to back really makes you realize what a great series this is and how everything ties together. I can't believe how many iconic TMNT characters they've introduced and reinvented and how many new characters too in such a short time (closing in on 5 years), etc.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:05 AM   #72
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i'll be honest i DID NOT pick up on Koya the first read!
and when i saw that on the second time through it was a pretty nice surprise!

i wish TMNT Infestation 2 had more to it that just the 2 issues!!
it seemed like it ended just as it was getting started.

it could have used at least one more issue?
(and more gore! LOTS MORE gore!!!)
I'm pretty sure Nickelodeon wanted it swept under the rug. We butted heads. It wasn't as fun an experience as I'd hoped it would be. The second issue had a lot of 11th hour rewrites and was changed into something pretty different from what was originally intended because mid way through my working on it there was a change in the management at Nick. What I originally wrote had a lot more ambiguity to it. It was as Lovecraftian as I could make it, but the new powers at Nick didn't like it, and at this point the OLD powers-that-be had signed off on it. We basically had to rewrite the second half to completely change the story at the last minute because Nickelodeon suddenly had a direction they were taking the brand in. I get it, and from what I understand a lot of those teething problems from the early days are long, long gone, I just wish things were a little different then. It didn't help that I was juggling art on Ghostbusters and hadn't written in years, so I was lagging and some of the problems we had to work around basically made me lock up because I couldn't think of a decent way around it, but that first issue is one of my favourite things I've worked on.

Funnily enough, I wrote it as a Mirage story. The first draft actually opened like an issue of Tales with the whole "Let me tell you a story..." thing. There was actually art that had all four Turtles with their red masks, too. That was changed when it was decided they'd change in the comics, but I think this story ended up coming out just before the change happened in the main story. I do remember taking a small amount of heat for it online too.

Thanks for the kind words on it, too!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #73
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I've re-read everything up until Attack on Technodrome so far. I'm amazed how many plot points are called back to and aren't forgotten, and how much great set-up there is for the villains.

We know all about Shredder and Krang's backstory for example. So much focus on Hun, and Old Hob, and a bit on Baxter and Karai. April's stolen ooze heals her father, Hob's mutagen mutates more Mutanimals, Karai's stolen mutagen makes Bebop/Rocksteady and Koya/Bludgeon.

Angel becoming Nobody, Alopex becoming good, all the focus on Metalhead of all things. Fugitoid and the Neutrinos struggle, the set up with Kitsune and The Rat King.

Man, reading everything back to back really makes you realize what a great series this is and how everything ties together. I can't believe how many iconic TMNT characters they've introduced and reinvented and how many new characters too in such a short time (closing in on 5 years), etc.
that's something i've been very impressed by in my re-read is how many plot points get placed early on that later develop into the story arcs.
there was so much treachery from Shredder it's no wonder why Krang wanted to kill him?

and i'm even seeing so many scenes with Kitsune as well as The Rat King that we have yet to discover where they are going?

i can really see how with all of the story-lines and characters developing over the years, how this series has easily become my #1 favorite comic series each month.

i finally finished with the remaining books in my re-read, (Mutanimals, Casey & April, all issues up to #53)
as much as i loved it the first time i was able to appreciate it a LOT more this time!

still wasn't any easier to see all the suffering poor Donatello had to go through!
it made for a truly compelling story, but i'm really relieved that it's now resolved.

and looking at the relationship of Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki re-reading this as a whole, makes a LOT more sense why they share so many kind words to each other at the very end.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #74
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
I'm pretty sure Nickelodeon wanted it swept under the rug. We butted heads. It wasn't as fun an experience as I'd hoped it would be. The second issue had a lot of 11th hour rewrites and was changed into something pretty different from what was originally intended because mid way through my working on it there was a change in the management at Nick. What I originally wrote had a lot more ambiguity to it. It was as Lovecraftian as I could make it, but the new powers at Nick didn't like it, and at this point the OLD powers-that-be had signed off on it. We basically had to rewrite the second half to completely change the story at the last minute because Nickelodeon suddenly had a direction they were taking the brand in. I get it, and from what I understand a lot of those teething problems from the early days are long, long gone, I just wish things were a little different then. It didn't help that I was juggling art on Ghostbusters and hadn't written in years, so I was lagging and some of the problems we had to work around basically made me lock up because I couldn't think of a decent way around it, but that first issue is one of my favourite things I've worked on.

Funnily enough, I wrote it as a Mirage story. The first draft actually opened like an issue of Tales with the whole "Let me tell you a story..." thing. There was actually art that had all four Turtles with their red masks, too. That was changed when it was decided they'd change in the comics, but I think this story ended up coming out just before the change happened in the main story. I do remember taking a small amount of heat for it online too.

Thanks for the kind words on it, too!
you are most welcome, and thank you for that in-depth explanation!

it does make a lot more sense now how things turned out in the second issue.
but that really is a shame though, i guess we'll just have to use our imaginations to what could have been?

that is really funny what you said about taking the Mirage direction with the story as there's been much speculation about that! ...and now we finally know!!!

that 'Tales of the TMNT' intro would have been TOO awesome!!!!!!

thank you again for sharing that!
Old 01-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

Finished my re-read up to issue 52. The whole final battle with Shredder on the rooftop was gorgeous. Awesome art, great battle. I also like how IDW Shredder isn't overpowered, the Turtles already beat him once before, Krang nearly killed him, I like it when Shredder isn't portrayed as invincible like he is in the Nick cartoon.

Seems like Karai is going to turn to the side of good, and Bebop/Rocksteady were kicked out of the Foot Clan. I had forgotten Koya/Bludgeon are still with the Foot though, I thought they left as well. Surprised we haven't seen them in issues 51-53...

One thing that kinda bothers me is how often Angel/Alopex come to the rescue of the Turtles. Angel is starting to feel a little Mary-Sueish ever since she became Nobody, and it seems like she's always there helping out the guys. I like Angel but I hope they tone it down a bit and she's not used so much anymore.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #76
old_hob88
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Finished my re-read up to issue 52. The whole final battle with Shredder on the rooftop was gorgeous. Awesome art, great battle. I also like how IDW Shredder isn't overpowered, the Turtles already beat him once before, Krang nearly killed him, I like it when Shredder isn't portrayed as invincible like he is in the Nick cartoon.

Seems like Karai is going to turn to the side of good, and Bebop/Rocksteady were kicked out of the Foot Clan. I had forgotten Koya/Bludgeon are still with the Foot though, I thought they left as well. Surprised we haven't seen them in issues 51-53...

One thing that kinda bothers me is how often Angel/Alopex come to the rescue of the Turtles. Angel is starting to feel a little Mary-Sueish ever since she became Nobody, and it seems like she's always there helping out the guys. I like Angel but I hope they tone it down a bit and she's not used so much anymore.
Koya and Bludgeon travelled to Japan with Karai, so we'll see them when she returns more than likely.
old_hob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #77
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Actually, I just finished reading #51 earlier, and Koya and Bludgeon are still with Splinter and the rest of the Foot. They didn't go to Japan with Karai- they are shown in a panel in front of Splinter on the "throne". So they are still there. I don't think he really knows what to do with them, though.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #78
CyberCubed
Overlord

#51 takes place at least a month after #50....so Karai/Bludgeon/Koya went to Japan and returned already.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #79
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Koya and Bludgeon are in Japan with Karai now. That scene in #51 was a flashback to immediately after #50, when Splinter took control of the Foot, sort of a crowning ceremony. We thought it was more clear and could be inferred, but I can see how it is not.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #80
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I have reread through #12 now.

I felt that the M.O.U.S.E.R.S. arc went on for one issue too long. The other plots were more interesting from Shredder kidnapping Splinter for Hob since both of them wanted the wise rat though for different reasons. It seeds the different goals of Shredder and Krang and shows that despite the dialogue those two share they are best as two separate enemies and create a great three way war easily one uping the TMNT/Triceraton/Federation three way struggle easily.

I like how Karai is being used. She is still Shredder's relative, but she is the one responsible for everything by reviving her ancestor. The Shredder/SPlinter dynamic on the first read was weird, but I like the exchange. I feel like pitting Splinter against one of Shredder's best soldiers was unnecessary as Saki should know by word exchange and demeanor. But hey we need action to drive the plot ot get to the turtles first fight with Shredder.

I question what a few thugs playing neighborhood watch are going to do against ninjas other than even some of the odds against the Turtles. I could see Splinter wanting them to leave so not to involve them and have their blood on his hands. The action sequences however were done very well as well as the battle's ending. A clear finish but know there is more to come.

Like with Karai, it was a good set up with Alopex. Really all the characters were set up well. I just did not like the tone of the first few issue and second arc drawn on a little longer. Then once Shredder's arc taken directly from the previous starts its skyrocket to the quality it is. Like any title it takes time to build and I am glad I went form skeptical to eager for the next issue as soon as I get the new one.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote