The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Nintendo discontinuing the NES Classic

According to a Nintendo rep close to IGN, the NES Classic Edition is being discontinued later this month. The source said the last shipments are being sent to stores throughout April. You can read the full statement below.

“Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product.”

Sad news for anyone who has yet to snag one at a reasonable price. Stay tuned to Nintendo Wire for more details as they make themselves available.

http://nintendowire.com/news/2017/04...north-america/
Old 04-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
mrmaczaps
Banned

Queue those people who bought all of them every time they found some setting them up kn ebay for way more than what they paid per unit...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Well that SUCKS. So much for my job holding onto one for me next time they came in FeelsBadMan.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Not surprising at all. It wasn't selling. It's hard to imagine anyone other than hipsters wanting that full retro experience coveting a 32 year-old video game system.

The rest of us? Emulators and ROMs have been available for almost two decades that play all of that stuff console-perfect.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

That sucks. It's been near impossible for people to get these, late preorders canceled and those who got them resells them for insane price.

Here I hoped riding out the storm and get one later was the better idea, guess not.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not surprising at all. It wasn't selling. It's hard to imagine anyone other than hipsters wanting that full retro experience coveting a 32 year-old video game system.
It was actually selling out completely and they barely stayed on store shelves. People are also paying $100+ for it on places like ebay just to get a console.

It was highly successfull which makes Nintendo discontinuing it so quickly even more baffling.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It was actually selling out completely and they barely stayed on store shelves. People are also paying $100+ for it on places like ebay just to get a console.

It was highly successfull which makes Nintendo discontinuing it so quickly even more baffling.
Where are the sales figures to support that?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
It came out back in November and sold 2 million units by March 2017, and this is with shortages and most people not being able to find a console:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ni.../1100-6446951/

Nintendo could probably sell around 7-10 million consoles if they actually kept producing it.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:

The rest of us? Emulators and ROMs have been available for almost two decades that play all of that stuff console-perfect.
I know you like to think people don't care about retro gaming but this thing went out of stock like it cured cancer & 3D printed sexual partners.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

A massive shame for those that wanted it but I personally had no interest due to various issues with the device regardless of its unicorn rarity tbh

It sure is cute though, I'll give it that.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:

Its not that hard to imagine that people actually want the physical thing and not everyone knows about nor uses emulators.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
sdp
-

Already pointed out but you couldn't be more wrong Andrew, this was one of the holiday gifts last christmas and it's still near impossible to get.

It makes no sense why Nintendo would discontinue it but the my top 4 theories are:

1-Nintendo doesn't want the NES Mini to distract people from getting a switch
2-Nintendo is only discontinuing it for now and will launch it again soon and with new games (the wording makes this likely)
3-Nintendo didn't like that it was hacked and people could inject roms
4-Nintendo gotta Nintendo

I'm guessing it's more of a combination of 1 and 2 though but with Nintendo you never know it really just might be 4 and they just don't care even if they can still make tons of money from it, the product already did what it was supposed to do, get people talking about Nintendo.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #13
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:

Quote:
Where are your facts to say it wasn't selling???
Hypocrit

Cubed is right. This thing sold out at launch and has been difficult to keep on the shelves.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #14
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Already pointed out but you couldn't be more wrong Andrew, this was one of the holiday gifts last christmas and it's still near impossible to get.

It makes no sense why Nintendo would discontinue it but the my top 4 theories are:

1-Nintendo doesn't want the NES Mini to distract people from getting a switch
2-Nintendo is only discontinuing it for now and will launch it again soon and with new games (the wording makes this likely)
3-Nintendo didn't like that it was hacked and people could inject roms
4-Nintendo gotta Nintendo

I'm guessing it's more of a combination of 1 and 2 though but with Nintendo you never know it really just might be 4 and they just don't care even if they can still make tons of money from it, the product already did what it was supposed to do, get people talking about Nintendo.
Hm... well I guess it could be Switch-related. Get people to rebuy those same games on Switch. That's still a thing, isn't it?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #16
sdp
-

Quote:
Hm... well I guess it could be Switch-related. Get people to rebuy those same games on Switch. That's still a thing, isn't it?
about that......eventually we assume it'll be possible, the switch didn't even launch with a Virtual Console yet that sells these games, it's a half baked console launch for a system that isn't ready. I was just flamed about this on the Nintendo thread. I love Nintendo but that doesn't mean you can't point out their faults.

what an assbackwards company, though I guess it's this same mentality that has them take risks and make crazy games that I end up loving.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Why would you think a nice small NES with 30 games on it with pixel perfect emulation (better than the Virtual Console releases) is rubbish?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

In any case...

Old 04-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #19
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why would you think a nice small NES with 30 games on it with pixel perfect emulation (better than the Virtual Console releases) is rubbish?
It was obvious from the start that these were just cheap little cash-grabs. The selection of games is pathetic, the use of modern game control ports ruins the whole nostalgia angle, has poorly designed controllers, and the price point is ridiculous. The initial price was too much for what little you got (I was actually able to get my current original NES for way) less than that a couple years ago), and the current market prices are just insane, it's definitely not worth what people are asking for it.

If you really want to play the games the real way, you should just pick up an actual NES.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #20
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I've literally never seen one.