The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #21
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Today's episode: the womp rat genocide.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:40 AM   #22
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
There is no Macromedia Flash anymore. It was acquired by Adobe.
... I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm not knocking it. It could be good. Questionable cheap flash animation kind of style... eh.
I like the concept, but the presentation is a bit underwhelming for something with Disney's name on it.

Last edited by ProactiveMan; 04-18-2017 at 02:49 AM.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #23
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

First short

NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #24
Aaronardo
Stone Warrior

I'm pretty sure the point of that was to show off an action scene. But the animation style is so limited they couldn't make it engaging in the slightest. You can't try and make something fast-paced if everything on-screen moves as slow as it does here.

Disney's been adopting this cheap Flash style and letting it on TV (as full-fledged shows) recently, and it's just not working.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

That flash style was legitimately horrid. It reminded me of those old flash clips you would see on cartoon websites in the early/mid 2000's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 AM   #26
DestronMirage22
Mad Scientist

Wow, that's some horrible animation.

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #27
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

They ARE shorts, so they're given less importance than other star wars products, that's why it's so primitive.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #28
Aaronardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
They ARE shorts, so they're given less importance than other star wars products, that's why it's so primitive.
The fact that they are shorts is why the animation has no business being as bad as it is. 3-4 minutes of animation isn't hard, especially when you're Disney. It's not even a priority thing -- this is just laziness.

Plus, we have full-fledged shows Disney's letting on the airwaves with a similar animation style like Tangled and Hotel Transylvania, so it isn't as if these shorts are the only things getting this kind of treatment.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #29
Spike Spiegel
Welcome Back, Samus!

That looked way too cheap for Disney...like the modern equivalent of an old Filmation program.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #30
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

the actual STORY of the BB8 one isn't bad, but, can I say that the animation is absolutely HORRID without ruffling any sensitive forum ears?

my god.

What happened to the art of animation, where stylization, and cheap stylization, is taking over even big companies like disney now?

i couldn't watch more than two minutes of that...the low frame rate actually hurts the eyes..
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #31
sdp
<<raver>>

TMNT shows that shorts can be very well animated if they want to, of course it costs money. I think these shorts were made for two reasons which is to show GIRL POWER and appease SJWs and more importantly to market some new dolls they're going to be selling so like Monster High they decided to make some shorts.

I don't think it was a huge project, hence the budget but I still think it's awesome, I personally love the idea of all these Star Wars women getting some love. I'm going to wait until December to watch them all as I'm hyped about Episode VIII since right now I don't really feel like watching anything Star Wars.

Oddly enough I have seen SJWs complain about how Disney is misogynistic and that's the reason these shorts have bad animation and alt-right complaining about Disney pandering to SJWs Disney can't catch a break.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #32
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

that's because you can't please EITHER of those people.

the only reason i'm not as interested in this as I otherwise would be is BECAUSE it feels like it was done with an agenda in mind, and not to celebrate the women of star wars.

if it was the latter, I'd be all for it. but not with the head of fang being in control of star wars these days .
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #33
sdp
<<raver>>

I think that's a small part of it but the biggest reason is they were made was to promote these dolls coming out later this year:

Spoiler:

Jesus, look at the Chewbacca Ken

Kind of neat, they don't seem that bad though I'm not a doll collector. IIRC most of these doll lines of licenses aimed primarily at boys usually fail even if there is crossover appeal, like the old Power Ranger dolls. And the action figure of DC Super Hero Girls hit the discount bins rather quickly in various places so I'm guessing that line didn't do that well. I give them props for trying and at least now we can show people that these things don't usually sell.

Edit: Do we know how many of these there will be? The only bad thing about all of them being from different periods of time is that we won't have a final team up ;(
As bad as these flash shorts are I think I'm more excited for them than the actual Episode VIII film.

Last edited by sdp; 07-05-2017 at 03:24 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote