The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
She will if Neill Blomkamp ever gets around to making his Alien 5 film.
Ridley will bully him to not.

And what a precarious position Blomkamp's Alien 5 is in. Covenant does well, it means Ridley gets to do his imaginary "Prometheus 3" trilogy ender. Covenant does badly, it means Fox won't greenlight any more Alien movies for the foreseeable future... Blomkamp's Alien 5 included.

Lose, lose.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #22
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Fox may have let Blomkamp make an Alien movie before Elysium and Chappie; I'm not sure he is first on the list anymore.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #23
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
is Sigourney Weaver ever coming back? She might as well return as the grizzly old woman role similar to Harrison Ford and Sylvester Stallon reprising their old characters from old movies.
Yep, both her and Michael Biehn are meant to be reprising their roles.

Blomkamp's Alien got put on the back-burner due to Covenant. Like Andrew said, if it does badly then Blomkamp's Alien won't happen.

Also, it's supposed to be set after Aliens and ignores Alien 3/Resurrection. So calling it "Alien 5" is a mistake.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Yep, both her and Michael Biehn are meant to be reprising their roles.

Blomkamp's Alien got put on the back-burner due to Covenant. Like Andrew said, if it does badly then Blomkamp's Alien won't happen.
And if it does good, they'll want to make Prometheus 3 and not Blomkamp's Alien 5.

Best case scenario: Covenant does GREAT, so great that Fox isn't nervous about having two Alien-related movies in production at the same time (Prometheus 3 and Blomkamp's Alien 5). Probably most realistic positive expectation: Covenant does decently, but Blomkamp has to wait until Prometheus 3 comes out. If Prometheus 3 does well, Blomkamp is finally allowed to make his Alien 5... but by this point it's like 2021 and Sigourney Weaver is about 135 years old.

Quote:
Also, it's supposed to be set after Aliens and ignores Alien 3/Resurrection. So calling it "Alien 5" is a mistake.
Well, he's been super coy about it. In some interviews, he's literally said Alien 3 and Resurrection still happen in the Alien 5 story, that literally there is some kind of in-story divergence... Alien 3 and 4 go this way, Alien 5 goes this other way. I'm just not sure how that's possible in any way that's not hackneyed.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #25
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And if it does good, they'll want to make Prometheus 3 and not Blomkamp's Alien 5.
Exactly.

Quote:
Well, he's been super coy about it. In some interviews, he's literally said Alien 3 and Resurrection still happen in the Alien 5 story, that literally there is some kind of in-story divergence... Alien 3 and 4 go this way, Alien 5 goes this other way. I'm just not sure how that's possible in any way that's not hackneyed.
I hadn't heard that, I only heard that it ignores Alien 3/Resurrection. I think that's the best option.

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

Old 03-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #26
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
I hadn't heard that, I only heard that it ignores Alien 3/Resurrection. I think that's the best option.
If Alien 5 ever does become a thing, I really hope that those films aren't ignored. They might not be the best films in the series, but they've got some things going for them. They were fairly entertaining and continued Ripley's story in an interesting way. I also don't see how they'd be able to pull it off either way; how'd they be able to do it without Newt, (or possibly Hicks and Bishop)? I imagine there would be great difficulty trying to continue from Aliens, and not disappoint fans by any radical changes like in Alien 3.

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
If Alien 5 ever does become a thing, I really hope that those films aren't ignored. They might not be the best films in the series, but they've got some things going for them. They were fairly entertaining and continued Ripley's story in an interesting way. I also don't see how they'd be able to pull it off either way; how'd they be able to do it without Newt, (or possibly Hicks and Bishop)? I imagine there would be great difficulty trying to continue from Aliens, and not disappoint fans by any radical changes like in Alien 3.
I always thought that the best way to go about an Alien 5, before Prometheus came out, was to have Ripley 8 flying around the galaxy, perhaps finding the Alien homeworld, trying to unlock the origins of the Aliens and space jockeys with the aid of her quasi-Alien hivemind. You get one last ride with Ripley at the same time we would learn about the space jockeys and all that.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #28
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
But not ignoring Alien 3/Resurrection would mean that they would be doing "Alien 5" without Newt or Hicks since they both died in Alien 3. If Blomkamp wants to bring Alien back to its former glory, he should ignore 3 & Resurrection.

Quote:
I always thought that the best way to go about an Alien 5, before Prometheus came out, was to have Ripley 8 flying around the galaxy, perhaps finding the Alien homeworld, trying to unlock the origins of the Aliens and space jockeys with the aid of her quasi-Alien hivemind. You get one last ride with Ripley at the same time we would learn about the space jockeys and all that.
While that would be cool to see, there's the slight problem with Winona Ryder's character Call. Synthetics in the Alien universe don't age, and Winona Ryder has definitely aged since 1997. They'd either have to say Call was deactivated years ago or cast somebody else/use CGI.

Come to think of it; there's Weaver and Biehn's age too. Ripley was in cryosleep along with Newt and Hicks at the end of Aliens, right? Then they crash landed on Fiorina 161 in Alien 3, with Newt and Hicks dying in the crash.
If "Alien 5" does ignore 3 & Resurrection, how will they explain Ripley and Hick's ages when they've meant to have been in cryosleep all these years? Start the film long after they woke up I guess, same goes for Newt who'd need to be recast.

This all depends on whether Blomkamp even does bring back Hicks and Newt. By the time the movie finally starts shooting, the script may have drastically changed. Is there even a script at this point?

Last edited by THGhost; 03-08-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #29
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Blomkamp confirms Alien 5 to be dead:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/06/03/...-totally-dead/

The direct interview here:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/3/15...-elysium-rakka
He talks about it at the end.

This is some disappointing news.

Spoiler:
Old 06-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #30
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Thanks for the clarity Blomkamp. I didn't believe it the first 50 times you or Ridley Scott or Sigourney Weaver said the project was dead. Seriously, how long are sites going to report that this project isn't moving forward?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Don't worry. Instead of Blomkamp's movie, we'll get to see what happens when David arrives at Origae-6. That will be exciting too, won't it?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #32
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Think we'll even get a sequel to Covenant? The box office for Covenant has been pretty bad. The production budget was a good bit lower than Prometheus but not enough to offset the dwindling returns.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Think we'll even get a sequel to Covenant?
Hmm... production budget of 97 million, about 70 million in marketing... that's about 167 million to offset. It just passed its third weekend in theaters and is sitting at 67 domestic and 106 overseas. That means as of right now, Alien: Covenant has netted around 50 million here, and 53 million overseas... 103 million, 70 million in the hole.

Probably no sequel, unless it has serious legs overseas. It might. The overwhelming likelihood is that Ridley has successfully sent the Alien franchise back into the ice box.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #34
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Scott talks a bit about another movie:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/06/21/...venant-sequel/

Seems like he's determined to finish this trilogy despite all that happened with Covenant.
I'm relieved. We'll get some closure after all.

Spoiler:
Old 06-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #35
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

With the box office performance of Covenant I'm not sure it's up to him to do another movie. Covenant left such a bad taste in my mouth I'm not sure I even want a follow-up.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Seems like he's determined to finish this trilogy despite all that happened with Covenant.
I'm relieved. We'll get some closure after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
With the box office performance of Covenant I'm not sure it's up to him to do another movie. Covenant left such a bad taste in my mouth I'm not sure I even want a follow-up.
Yeah, Ridley Scott doesn't get to make these decisions.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Surprise, surprise:

http://heroichollywood.com/alien-cov...uel-uncertain/